Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Meditation and emotions

There is even walking meditation @Former-Member. In Asia you will often see monks doing a walking meditation. Sit however you are comfortable. You do get used to sitting and moving past the pain (if your body is uncomfortable).
Just keep practicing. The more you practice the better you get. There is no right or wrong way of meditating. Do what you are comfortable with.
Former-Member
Not applicable

a walking meditation @utopia wow i didnt know that, when i think of meditation i was just thinking the cross legged sit up 'ummmm' sort of thing

i might take a look at that .... do you reccomend any walking meditation methods? have you done it before ?

It's way out of my league @Former-Member. Think I'd have to practice for years first. And they take a tiny fairy step. Me - if I'm walking somewhere - I just want to get there quickly. Not one heal in front of the other toe. That would send me batty.
Some people meditate on a candle flame. Some meditate on a Mandala like @BlueBay makes. You don't just have to sit. And I never chant - although my in-laws always do.
It's just like anything that is good for your health - we all need to find what is right for us.
I struggle on a Tuesday night in class. But I find it easy up on my mountain with the strong wind - the noise of insects - the screeches of cockies. All different!
Former-Member
Not applicable

yep me too @utopia  i ike to get where im going too so i dont think the walking one would work for me.

maybe ill give the meditation another go tonight when it gets abit quieter when the kids are in bed. and see what happens.... what if i cant sit still and can only do a really short amount. should i jsut continue with it anyway or jsut stop and try again tomorrow?

@Former-Member. Just keep trying everyday. Over time you will be able to sit for longer.
Former-Member
Not applicable

ok ill have a good tonight and see what happens. thanks @utopia

@Former-Member, Totally agree with @utopia. It doesn't have to be sitting traditionally, even a bean bag if you have one. In winter I often sit infront of the fire place and focus on the flame. The main thing is to get comfortable.

On Tuesday night I had a massive pain in my outer shin. There are all different physical and mental experiences. Floating, yep have experienced that one a couple of times.

It also didn't help when half way through the class an ant decided to have my finger for dinner. Lol.

Sitting out side on the grass of a morning when the sun is first coming up or of an evening when the sun is going down. I focus on the sun rise/set in the clouds. The colours in the clouds and then come back to my breathing.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thank you @Heart
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance