Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Meditation and emotions

Proud of you @utopia for surviving the day in Melbourne. Sucky about the MRI's and trips back to Melbourne.

So did you stick your fingers up your nose on your way up the escalator from hell in case the bum in front of you let rip? LOL. By the sounds of it you will sleep very well tonight after such a big day.

Take care and catch up soon.

Lol. @Heart. I was too busy holding on.

@Heart I agree those feelings are a very normal response. Depending on what’s going on inside my head or what is happening around me meditating is very healing and it takes a lot of energy trying to control emotions throughout the day. Overwhelming emotion can be a positive thing 😊 I think we sometimes don’t realise how much we are holding inside and when we truly rest our minds and bodies (either/or) it’s normal to be ‘emotional’. Focus is the key for me too. Guided meditations work for me as I find it easier to guide my thoughts in a more positive way and set myself apart from all the stress around me. If I have far too much stress to manage I find meditation pretty challenging. That’s when I the techniques utopia described. I practice those even through the day if I feel things becoming hectic and it’s made an amazing difference for me.

@utopia, @Former-Member, @Appleblossom@MissG, I just read this on a random sight on the internet. Thought you might find it interesting. The image of my grandma while meditating:

She came to me in the form of a photo. The photo was of her sitting on the side of her bed in the nursing home she was in when I got married. We hired on of the nurses to bring her to our wedding.

The photo was taken one the day of our wedding and in the dress that she wore to our wedding. Hair done, make up on. The nurse took the photo for us before they left for our wedding.

"Seeing a deceased person, who was very close to you, might mean that they want to offer you some closure and comfort. This is especially true if you had some issues with them before they died (no I did not). If you are currently having a hard time in your life, that person might be guiding you in the right direction."

I found this very interesting give the situation that I am in at the moment. Just wanted to share.

@Heart. I agree. I like to think it's a way for them to reach out to us. Maybe to direct and guide us. Or let us know we are on the right path.
How lucky you are to have dreamed of her. ♥♥
Former-Member
Not applicable

hi @utopia @Heart @MissG  @Former-Member @Appleblossomand everyone else who has done meditation.

do you mind if i share an experience i had while doing a meditation session, i dont know if its normal or not but maybe since you have more experience than me, if you might be able to shed some light on it??

Go ahead @Former-Member. I'm taking a nap soon - but I'll catch up and respond this evening.
Former-Member
Not applicable

ok @utopia and everyone

im not the best at meditation and have been really turned off it from this experience

so ive had a go 12 times as i did a 12 day challange through an app.  so the first few times i found it really hard to focus or sit still for more than 2 minutes and found it very hard to relax at all. then i could do 2 minutes relaxed then 3 then 4 then 5 i could start to do ok. but the last two times i did and havent done it since was an unusual and uncomfortable situation that has remained unanswered as to why it happened.

so i got comfrotable, i found siting up for a long time wasnt comfortable for me so i begain to lay down flat but still used the same breathing techniques and relaxing soft quiet music so nothing else changed, changed to laying down afer te 6th session i was doing.

as i was relaxing and focusing on the breathing after abit my mind started to quiten down- gathering thats normal... but as i kept getting really uncomfortable sesation of free falling really fast and i had to get out of there by opening ym eyes and then doing something else.

i thouhgt maybe it was a one off thing so i gave it another go but it happened again so i tried to jsut let it ride out but it didnt and got really weird to handle so i stopped doing meditation after that as i didnt want to keep dealing with that feeling

Any ideas???

@Former-Member. Yes I've experienced similar when I was in hospital and learning relaxation in thirty minute sessions. Twice I started to feel nauseous and like I was falling - vertigo. It was my anxiety. Previous to this my bodily symptoms of anxiety were different. I explained to the psych nurse and she said sometimes our bodily reactions change. She told me to have a day off doing the relaxation and try again the following day. So I went the following day. Told the therapist what had happened previously. I chose to sit/lie closest to the door incase it happened again. It didn't.
Maybe try sitting up to do your meditation. A hard backed dining chair. If you feel that sensation again - tell yourself that you are safe& try and focus again on your breathing. If the sensation is too intense - try opening your eyes & focus on your breath.
Former-Member
Not applicable

so its like all my anxiety being released or something is it? @utopia

to start with i just couldnt relax to and took me ages, when i was sitting though i would figit more as i just couldnt seem to get comfortable.... does it still work if i sit against the wall but on the floor?

i havent done any meditation for ages.  so i dont know how ill go doing it now.

i didnt know you could meditate with your eyes open @utopia does it still work? i think id find myself focussing on too many other things in the room

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance