Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: having fun when you are over 50

@Owlunar  Hey Dec I have never given it a thought that Heathcliffe could be Earnshaw's son but it would make sense as you say. The passion the novel invokes is intoxicating :). None of the characters are particularly likeable except for the young Catherine and Hareton (was that his name? am digging it up from the memory banks of 40 years ago). Such a powerful story.

Yes the fires are shocking. In my life time I have never seen anything like tihs before.

Hi @greempea and @Owlunar
These fires are truly extra ordinary (deliberately 2 words). Very worrying as they're too close for comfort.

Interesting topic.
I tried the online dating but ditched it. If I'm meant to meet someone, it will happen within the course of my normal life. There's advantages and disadvantages to being alone. I love the liberty of a solo life but sometimes ....
Since I've retired, I've become so busy it's beyond ridiculous.
It will be good to catch up with you all. Take care
💕🎶💕

@Kurra  Hi Kurra good to see you and happy new year to you. I couldnt agree with you more re online dating it is not for me. Interesetingly enough I was reading about married people now living in their own homes not cohabiting is on the increase.  I can really understand that.

Hi @Kurra 

I haven't seen you for quite a while and I actually thought of you when I was adding my thoughts to this thread - 

Yes - these fires are extra-ordinary - I have the TV on atm - listening to the bushfire updates - the situation is serious - it is a major distaster and I have never known fires to be in so many Australian states at the same time

Melbourne was covered in a heavy smoke haze yesterday - this morning felt cooler but that is wearing off already - I have the house closed up already to keep the smome out - and it is unpleasant - hot and dirty - 

I am not interested in on-line dating either - in my old age I am enjoying my freedom - I have been for 30 years now so I have become entrenched in my own patterns of behaviour - I like my independence - somehow I really don't think I could share my home with someone else - so great not to have - time to get up and time to go to bed and what's for dinner?

And I can eat what I like without anyone going "Aw not that again" 

Great to see you again

Dec

Hi @greenpea 

I have read Wuthering Heights many times since the first time when I was 12 - it seems young to me now that I should have read such a complex novel at such a young age but then it's a timeless book - 

Yes - the characters are a weird mob - apart from the Heathcliffe and Cathy - there is Lockwood - the first narrator - making such major mistakes interpreting the situation at the Heights - and Nellie - for a servant she is remarkably bossy and interferring - perhaps long-time retainers had a different place in the household back then - but does she know everything!! - sheesh

And Hareton - yes - that's the young man's name - takes pride in his ignorance and slouching ways and apparent lack of breeding and young Cathy does grow out of her petulance - and the two young people seem to redeem the past - 

But as for a bad lot - I really wonder - living cheek-by-jowl as they did in the Yorkshire Moors in the C19th - I wonder - are they any different to people now? Perhaps not - but the Earnshaws and Lintons certainly live isolated lives as did the Brontes - 

And are we any different isolated in the suburban wildnernesses of our big cities

And the fires - yes - I have that on atm - authorities are preparing for a bad day - and it's getting hot and smoky here in South Eastern Melbourne today - and I do feel edgy

Dec

@Owlunar  Hey Dec stay safe. Let us all know how you are going and it has been great talkwing with you about my favouite novel :Dxxx

Hi @greenpea 

I have a bit of bushfire history - I was in the Yarra Valey when I was a teenager and I guess my Gran and her best friend where supposed to be looking out for me but when a fire started down the valley the police came around to our guest house and told us to prepare to be evacuated and my Gran and her friend said they weren't going but luckily it rained that night - but I will never forget the flares from the crown fire behind the mountain looking like the corona of the sun - interesting memory that is frozen in time - it wasn't a big fire considering

But Ash Wednesday is a really bad memory as is Black Saturday - and here we are again but apart from the risk of asthma from the smoke I am safe here in the city and glad to be in the city and there is a change on the way - I'm not even hot yet and I am making vegetable soup - but I appreciate people caring - 

And it has been great discussing a favourite novel - Wuthering Heights would be among my favourites - I got another copy a couple of years ago - it already looks battered - I have read it several times in a short space of time

I love gathering pea-pics - it seems to be an interesting avatar

All the best today and keep safe Pea

Dec

Hi @greenpea
Yes the Living Apart Together marriages are a great idea and would suit me. I like my independence but it would be nice to have someone special to share things with.
Stay safe with these fires. I'm about to fill the water tanks on my van so if I have to evacuate I can just go.
💕🎶💕

@Kurra  thinking of you Kurra Heartx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance