Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Supporting someone after a suicide attempt // 28 Nov. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

Thanks @Shaz51 there are already a number of common themes from peoples responses tonight. Thank you for trusting us with your story. We are hoping that the study will begin to address these gaps as we collect data and then share those findings with carers and service providers.

Thanks for attending tonight.

Sarah

Re: Topic Tuesday // Supporting someone after a suicide attempt // 28 Nov. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

Acknowleding grief and loss has been helpful, being angry is part of this, I think it is part of feeling helpless and powerless too. 

The grief is ongoing, there is ongoing uncertainty, which is part of life, compounded by MI. 

That's really disappointing to hear @Former-Member and @Shaz51.  Especially the unfounded criticism that was aimed at you Shaz. 

It really shouldn't be beyond the remit of a Psychologist or Counsellor to be able to explore the impact with you and to support your own recovery from the attempt.  It's good advice from @UNE to give feedback on what you tend to find useful.  We sometimes end up silenced by the power imbalance though so a good practitioner would ask up front.

Just under 10 minutes to go now, so last chance for any questions or comments.

I really like the expression 'living grief' that you used @Former-Member.  It's helps to underline the ongoing power and impact of grief.

@suzanne Thanks for having me. Information about the study can be found via the survey link.

The research team, via SANE, will be able to report back from time to time regarding how the study is progressing.

Thanks everyone,

Sarah

I would like to do some course in being a carer and how to deal with the medical practitioners. In desperation I turned to beyond blue website and it was helpful in how to deal with someone who has attempted suicide. Why do carers get no help? The loved one is sent home after they've been patched up and we have to try to keep them safe. After 18 months in and out of hospital our daughter was given a booklet with information about outreach workers day programs different treatments and medications emergency numbers for her and for carers. Why has it taken so long for her and us to be given this information. She is unhappy that things have been so haphazard and we've been in the dark. So unhappy about the whole process.

Thank you for being here @UNE/Sarah.  It's been a real priviledge to be part of the conversation and thank you to all the members who joined us and shared their stories. 

I'll leave the thread open for a day or so for anyone who would like to add their thoughts. 

Please take a few minutes to complete the survey also as the results will be used to create better support in the future.

thankyou @UNE, @suzanne for an interesting night HeartHeart

Have you been in contact with your state carers support service @Ann6?  If not, give us a ring at SANE on 1800 18 7263 and we'll give you the details.  They can provide counselling, information, courses and more. 

Thank you I will call tomorrow.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance