Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Supporting someone after a suicide attempt // 28 Nov. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

@suzanne  @UNE  Thank you

To summarise my feelings, when an attempt happens there is a complexity of emotions based upon our own life experiences, the nature of the MI of our loved one and that there is a need for the treating teams to acknowledge the carer and the emotions they must be experiencing, ciommunicate with them appropriately and direct them to appropriate supports.  The carer must be included in discharge planning if they are to be part of the process.

There are shared feelings that we have and these are addressed in post suicideattempt information readily available on the internet (although a lot of it did not apply to our situation as Mr D in hospital for 4 months post attempt)

Re: Topic Tuesday // Supporting someone after a suicide attempt // 28 Nov. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

HI Ann6, I have to totally agree with you. After my sisters attempts I spoke with her GP, got shut down by confidentiality. My sister has hidden her attempts. I was so desperate to help. the only time we got honesty from a health professional was when I got in tears on the phone 700klms away to say she was missing and not answering her phone! The  health professionals need to be allowed to talk to a nominated 1-2 family members.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance