Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Managing compulsions // 25 July, 7pm AEST

I had a client once who frequently froze for long periods as everytime she had a thought about harm coming to her children she had to work through a long elaborate mental ritual to ward off the harm.  She couldn't move on and do anything else until she'd got it right.  It was really debilitating. 

We made some progress but I wish I'd known about ARCvic back then.  What are some of the services you offer at ARCvic @ReneeT?

Very true @Eden1919.  Would you be able to tell us a little about how it affects you?

Great question @Shaz51. I would say that like with all other mental health issues, there are certainly different degrees of OCD. For some of the people that we are in contact with at ARCVic, the symptoms may be a small part of their. For others however, they are consumed to an excruciating and absolutely exhausting level by their OCD symptoms

@suzanne@ReneeT is it normal for OCD to change and not have one specific theme. for example i have many OCD things that have themes like cleaning/washing, harm, straightening things, obsessive thoughts about many different thing but i also have thing that happen randomly and without warning like all of a sudden i will have to tap something or step somewhere or repeat something in my head or pick something up. but these things dont seem to have a theme. 

Hi @ReneeT, @suzanne,, does OCD change over years xx

@suzanne OCD affects everything i do and i mean everything at its worst it would take up 20 hours of my day i once didnt speak or do anything for 6 hours because i was repeating things in my head non stop. and it can take me anywhere up to 5 hours to get through the shower because i have so many rituals aroud that. it has stopped me from saying or writing certain words and i am not even allowed to think them either. i often have to tap things and i havent used a hand towel in over 7 years. i am not able to be in a relationship because of it and my contamination issues. and i cant even sit down without doing a compulsion of some sort. when i walk there are certain places i have to step and certain foods i cant eat and it just rules every aspect of my life. and it joins in with my other conditions to make them more complicated. 

Hi @Eden1919, that's an excellent question. We've spoken to many people over the years at ARCVic who have talked about their OCD changing over the years - that their OCD started with a particular obsession, and then changed to something completely different, and so on.  

In my experience it's something that shifts or evolves frequently @Shaz51.  Is it something that affects your hubby?

Thanks for sharing your story @Eden1919.  You've just described something I certainly wish people understood - how controlling and dominating it can be.  We think it's just about hand washing and checking - do it and move on - but don't realise that the thoughts and compulsions can hold people captive for long long periods.

i check things all the time too that can take me a long time as well sometimes i get stuck checking something for up to an hour.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance