Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Managing compulsions // 25 July, 7pm AEST

@suzanne yes my father has social anxiety and my sister has generalised anxiety

So it might well be that you've inherited some mental quirks @Eden1919.  A brain more susceptible to fearful thoughts. 

yes i think so

Topic Tuesday has come to a close and I'd like to thank Renee for her time and expertise tonight which we've all greatly appreciated.  ARCvic is a fantastic organisation and I'd like to encourage people living with OCD and their carers to make contact for support and resources.

You're welcome to keep chatting on the thread but please join me in thanking Renee 🙂

@Eden1919 OCD sounds like it can be incredibly exhausting in your life. Please feel free to reach out to us for support - OCD & Anxiety Helpline – (03) 9830 0533 or 1300 269 438

www.arcvic.org.au

@Former-Member please also feel free to contact us if you need some support in supporting your husband.

Thanks again for having me tonight everyone!

Thanks Renee

Re: Topic Tuesday // OCD - Managing compulsions // 25 Jul, 7pm AEST

Thank you

Re: Topic Tuesday // OCD - Managing compulsions // 25 Jul, 7pm AEST

I've had ocd since childhood. Personally I do feel it is the brain trying to reassure and make the individual feel safe in instances where the child/adolescent felt unsafe. I want to try this exposure therapy which seems to have a decent amount of success. On an emotional level, I have found that it is helpful to look at the fear/emotion/belief underneath the ocd, this has helped me with ocd in the past. For example, I have held the belief that I need to be perfect to be loved/accepted since childhood. So my ocd chooses obsessions about being perfect to draw my attention to the belief that needs to be faced/healed, i.e. I would have obsessions that people I meet were noticing certain flaws in my appearances for example. I think this is the psyche or spirit trying to heal a belief that is not congruent with the truth. It's the mind's way of forcing us to face the fear/belief and heal it... Sometimes unless something is put in our face, a pattern for example, an obsession about something, we just don't want to look at the underlying cause - so the ocd forces it in our face! Just a thought... I think we are not just mind and body but also spirit.  Perhaps if we heal these subconcious beliefs it will heal or at least help the ocd... I am still on this journey and my ocd isn't completely healed yet but I have noticed that from facing deep long held fears and beliefs I have had relief from certain ocd's, and have in some cases had massive shifts. I know it is complex and I am not proclaiming to have the answers. There is likely an element of brain chemistry involved also whereby medication may be able to assist. May all of you fellow ocd sufferers find the right healing strategy you and find relief and fulfillment in life 🙂 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance