Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's Chat: Safer Internet Day // Tues 8th February, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

@Mum8 It is so important to give young people the space to explore, as you say, but to be able to provide the scaffolding for them should they run into any issues online. Topics related to gender and sexuality are both big, but also foundational for so many, but I completely understand your concern for her safety in discussing anything personal online.

Do you know whether the forums she's visiting are moderated and safe places for teens?

I'm also wondering whether the information provided by KidsHelpline might help in approaching these kinds of conversation with your daughter, specifically with in relation to beginning a conversation around what is safe and what is not safe to share with others on the internet.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's Chat: Safer Internet Day // Tues 8th February, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Thanks @HenryX and welcome! 🙂

@HenryX 
Thank you

We are having some really important conversations here! So I am going to post the next question 

Question 3: When we think about online spaces that feel kind and respectful, what sorts of behaviours and communication are we seeing in those spaces? What makes an online space feel welcoming and respectful?

@HenryX @Mum8 @CrazyChick 

@CrazyChick 

Your situation sounds really hard as you're obviously using the forum to get support. I'm very new to using any of these forums myself and even finding out infomation from Sane.org or open door but I wonder if for the moment the best support for personal concerns for you would be via phone chatting

Question 3: When we think about online spaces that feel kind and respectful, what sorts of behaviours and communication are we seeing in those spaces? What makes an online space feel welcoming and respectful?

• support in navigating the environment.
  • Acknowledgement of the information that is offered
  • appropriate offers of assistance
  • welcoming and introduction to others  {as appropriate}

@Daisydreamer @Rhye @HenryX @CrazyChick @RandleMcMurphy
Being given help on how to use the forum as HenryX gave me (who's quite technology challenged) feels welcoming and respectful.

Hi @Mum8 

I'm still learning also.

@HenryX 
I think you are doing very well

@Mum8, that is so lovely to hear, and to see @HenryX – it's what community is all about 💚

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance