Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's Chat: Safer Internet Day // Tues 8th February, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Great suggestions @RandleMcMurphy, would you feel comfortable to share what DNS means for those of us here who may not be across this?

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's Chat: Safer Internet Day // Tues 8th February, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Posting our next question 🙂

Question: Unfortunately, cyberbullying is on the rise with more and more people relying on the internet for communication and social connection.
What does cyberbullying look like? Where can you turn for help or support when experiencing cyberbullying?

@CrazyChick @Mum8 @RandleMcMurphy @Zoe7 @HenryX @Rhye 

Hello to visitors in this thread

{~1100 words}

While the following Post is detailed, I hope that it will assist in determining how people wish to be included or not included in forum activity, as well as consideration of other safety concerns and issues.

Without invitations by tagging, people may feel that they are not being included or may even feel ignored. So there is a balance between being inclusive and possibly appearing to be intrusive. It is only by the statement of a member's own wishes that those wishes can be acknowledged and respected.

Paradoxically, the principle of safety in numbers and a wide field of activity may work to the advantage of people who do not wish their persona to be too narrow, particularly with regard to possible identification.

Obviously, if someone wishes not to be included, they have the option of requesting not to be tagged. If they are not generally tagged in posts, there is really no reason for any future tags, unless made inadvertently or by mistake, possibly as part of another members attempt to extend inclusiveness. Or if a person wishes to reintroduce themselves to a conversation.

Members who I invite to view a new thread or topic are normally those with whom I have had some contact or been aware of through activity in the forum. The invitation is really just that; offering members the choice to be involved in the thread, or not, as they wish. This is my way of including people in topics in which they may like to participate, and endeavouring to enhance the inclusiveness of and within the forum. However, there is never any explicit or implied pressure on anyone to participate. And there is never, to my knowledge, any attempt to badger people.

Unfortunately, there is really no other way of knowing what peoples' interests might be. Normally, after the initial post of a topic or conversation in a thread, it is those members who have participated in the thread who are then tagged to alert them to new responses. Others may also be invited to join by participating members. Occasionally, such as in

Examples No. 4 and No. 5, below, a note will go out to members to thank them for their participation, either for what they have offered to the conversation and, or by support and acknowledgement. I do hope those members may not mind being tagged and thus drawn to this thread in which they may also, in any case, like to offer suggestions.

In one later post on the "Food and Beverage ......" thread, I offered a statement to the effect that,

"I am only including in the list of people tagged, those who have indicated that the topic is of interest and value to them or who may be interested in, or concerned about how the thread develops. I ask that all members who believe that the content and material in this thread may be personally unsettling or offensive, judiciously avoid this thread. This is easily accomplished, if by chance you are inadvertently tagged, by reading the topic name and deciding not to proceed to the thread.

The initial invitation was offered, by me, to people as being inclusive of all who may be interested and may find value in the anticipated discussion. However, I {like everyone else} (See note 1.) have to make my own decision, and take personal responsibility for my participation, involvement and activity in this, or any other thread.

The request made of members, active in the thread, is that those members offering comments ensure that they are familiar with and comply with the guidelines relating to content which are reprinted here from the

Guidelines & Info:

"Safety" (See note 2.)

Added notes: 1. "{like everyone else}" added for this discussion

2. Pertinent items were reprinted, following this statement, as indicated

Ex. No. 1

"This is just a place where people can catch up with Henry and others,

ask or answer questions

have a 'chat and coffee',

an imaginary 'joy flight',

just 'hanging out in the hangar'

{cleaning, polishing and mechanical assistance always appreciated},

to talk about any subject that complies with guidelines, available here > Guidelines & Info <,

or whatever else we might consider appropriate and possible.

Everyone is Welcome."

Added Note: There were no tags added to this introduction, though there were in later posts.

..........      "      ..........

"

Ex. No. 2

"Hello to members who have been active in “Henry's Landing Strip and Hangar” thread. I have started this thread on healthy food and drink choices and wanted to invite you, and other members, to have a look and participate if the topic and content might interest you.

None of the information, that is posted on the thread, should be considered or applied as if it were medical advice.

All the links in this post are active and are accessible directly by clicking the link."

"

Ex. No. 3

This new thread has been set up following a discussion with a couple of members, who are first noted in the following non-exclusive list, of members with whom I have had some recent contact and who are invited to participate in the discussion, if they so wish.

I am aware that some members may be taking "time away" for various reasons, so this is simply a form of advice to which response is not expected if it is untimely. Others may or may not be interested in the topic or discussion proposed.

"

Ex. No. 4

Added Note: In this post I acknowledged only those members who had responded to, or supported posts offered by other members.

"@AussieRecharger, @Appleblossom , @StuF , @Emelia8 , @Clawde , @tyme , @Faith-and-Hope , @Mumi , @Jacques , @Snowie , @Eden1919 , @Shaz51 , @RedHorse ,

@wellwellwellnez, @Hams , @chibam 

I appreciate that you have each taken the time to offer your perspectives and support.

Thank you

Best Wishes

@HenryX "

"

Ex. No. 5

"Hello @Dimity , @Mumi , @Clawde , @Anastasia , @Appleblossom , @Emelia8@Meggle , @greenpea , @Eve7 , @Lilly6@Molly22 , @Rosemary4 , @Former-Member , @Faith-and-Hope , @jem80 , @Lise07@Herewegoround , @Rhye ,

and other visitors who are also invited to join the thread

Thank you so much for your wishes and affirmation, @Dimity@Mumi@Anastasia@Emelia8 and @Appleblossom with your various comments and observations. And thank you also, @Dimity  for remembering (my dog) in your reply, on the 7th January."

"

The preceding notes are offered with a view to assisting in decisions and processes with regard to how members may be alerted to topics in which they may be interested or other arrangements by which their activity may be expanded or diminished as they may so wish.

With My Very Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Sure.. DNS stands for Domain Name System.

Basically every computer in the world has an IP (internet protocol) address..

So we humans can navigate the internet with our web browsers, etc.. this 'number' can be assigned a name.. ie. www.google.com

(I won't get into how you can have multiple websites and domains with the one IP address)

When we type in the domain name in our web browser our computer queries a specific DNS server for the 'number'..

The DNS name is used so we don't have to remember the number.. fairly straightforward.. we use this every day..

So, there are services that run their own custom DNS servers where they monitor websites for various content.. if they find said questionable content they remove the DNS name from their server so your computer can no longer look up its number..

Its a little more complex than that, but I hope it gives you an idea of what DNS is and how it can be used to restrict dubious content..

Hello @RandleMcMurphy 

Those suggestions about handling content seem really good for parents and possibly some carers.

Although I am reasonably familiar with the day to day use of my computer, the arrangements that you have suggested appear as though they may require the assistance of someone from a computer firm. Or are those alterations and settings, something that I can do without external assistance?

Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Wow @Daisydreamer , @Rhye 

I actually  missed a topic Tuesday,  I can not believe it 

It can be a little tricky to set up initially..

1. The software for logging etc.. gets installed on the computer you want to monitor, just like any other..

2. With the DNS and Time Limiting changes.. most household internet routers should support changing these settings.. you just need to be able to log on to the admin console.. (for the DNS you would also have to make an account with the external provider)

It just depends on how confident you are with the technology.. the router changes might be somewhat difficult, but the parental monitoring software will be similar to installing any other application..

I would just go with the parental monitoring software if you are unsure.. it will have a lot of the features to allow for domain control, and time limiting of access..

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance