Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: The Truth of our Existence

@Former-Member. When I was doing really well MI wise about a year and a half ago, I said that I am glad that I have gone through this journey. Only regret, if I could call it that, was that ky son had to witness his mum 'disappearing' into depression and witnessing my fear as another panic attack hit.
But I've been slowly coming out of a year long depression episode that has just zapped any confidence I had. And yesterday got more bad news about my mental health.
So if I could get rid of my MI & go back to who I was years ago, today I would say, 100% yes!. It's just too hard when I start to see a light at the end of the tunnel, only to be knocked back down into darkness.
Former-Member
Not applicable

That is totally your right.   My journey has been one of struggling and pain as well.  My MI Led to my first marriage falling apart. However I currently share my life with a partner who treats me better than my first wife ever did and she also has a MI.  If I didn't have an MI I would NEVER have met this beautiful woman.  Therefore to me, I see it as a painfully necessary part of the truth of my existence.  Others see it differently and that is of course totally valid.

You are both very lucky to have met each other @Former-Member. Yes hardship can be survived a little easier with a good person by your side.

@Rare wrote:
Thank you Dec
For your support and understanding the dissonance

Yes self care you are right. i do find myself wanting permission from others to give myself self care. It is a pity because for sure anyone living with MI and or caring really does need to monitor and allow ourselves care.
This may be another example of me not wanting to adult, i like others to take responsibility and make decisions these days. i do some monitoring though, i no longer drink, it has been over 2 years since i stopped. Alcohol was a strategy i tried after Abbey's death but it failed in the long term.
i am sorry about the torment and death of your son, and hope that your self care during the difficult months is plentiful, cherish yourself.
i do think with dread that winter is coming and my psych reminds me i always have this drop but it takes me by surprise each year. Yes i was her primary carer, in fact Centrelink contacted me a week after her death to say our application for carer payment had finally been approved. Too late.

Hi @Rare

Girls are not often brought up with an idea of their need for self-care, even being an independent adult and I have two friends from Central Europe who consider they were treated like second-class citizens and this is something I find increasingly a puzzle - women are valuble people but little girls are supposed to be "sugar and spice and all things nice" and "boys will be boys" so yes -  there are times when we need to seek permission for self-care - and in my increasing years I am getting over that - I have been alone for a long time and I have had to be the adult even in married-life - and there are times when I would love to be waited on - even one of the workers who help me out with my domestic work are so happy to make me a coffee which I can make for myself - but so wonderful when someone else makes it - 

And I doubt a man would ever think of this - most men - there are exceptions of course

Winter is a rough time - I need self-care very much and we had a long period of cold, dull and gloomy days in Melbourne - today was wonderful - sunny and warm - and the mood that haunted me for a few days lifted and I know these bad days will happen but as the years pass it is easier and it has been really helpful to be in this Forum - people here are really supportive

And you were your daughter's carer and didn't get the acknowledgement for your Carer's Support until after she died - and this is one of life's frustrating issues - my son died a long time ago - and as he was an adopted child I went to the agency we went through and they were totally not interested in helping out in anyway - I have often thought in more recent years I needed some support like that as I needed to work when I could - and that was difficult - as you know - it would have been great to have not had to worry about how might daughter would have been involved in his behaviour - although he was in Foster Care for some time I still had him around a lot - he was always part of our family though DHS had some of the responsibility

Whenever I communicate with bereaved parents I find the same thing at the core and that is the unswerving sense of despair and loss and of course - the unfairness of all of it - it is something that should never happen but does

There is a Persian saying that sounds like a blessing but is truly a curse - it goes "May you outlive your children" - every bereaved parent knows no one wants to outlive their children

Some people have written some really sensitive and caring things in this thread - I am very glad to see this - our lost children can so often be a taboo subject

But not here - the people here really care about each other

Dec

I feel normal but a little left wing. My life is defined by social norm to a degree and a pasting of utopic, progressive ideas that are directing this living culture. I have no conflict myself- neural plasticity +++ but I do not fit into a government directed mould. Who must shift? Do I placate and slow stream my life ( includes accepting medication and mental health staffs directive) or do I follow a  spiritual pathway and set down pathways for development- me and society. I do have control over this - haha as my sons would put it. I think I will continue to assimilate between government ideals and my own spiritual pathway, any thoughts?

I had my daily chronic pain removed in february (severe endometriosis and adhesions cut out) and for the first time in almost 20 years I have been without daily physical pain. At first it was amazing but now I'm struggling to cope mentally. So weird. Very disappointing.

ETA- I was trying to reply to @Owlunar but it didn't work I don't think???

Hi @MackLouis

I just read your post and I am really glad your endometriosis pain has been dealt with and your operation to get rid of it and the adhesions was successful

About the battle you are having to cope mentally - I can explain something about that

A long time ago I rang Life Line about my spinal pain - I was lucky - the person who spoke with me was a female GP volunteering - this has to be over 20 years ago now.

She told me that if my pain was suddenly taken away I could die from the culture shock and I am taking a wild guess here but I am thinking that you had the pain yourself for 20 years and now it's gone and I can't quite imagine what it would be like to have my spinal pain take a hike after living with it such a long time either

Perhaps it's a sort of grief - as much as you didn't like it, want it or need it - it was there every day and some days were worse than others and yet you lived with it and around it as I do with my back pain

Honestly - I don't know if I would be any happier without the pain - I have made a life for myself with it and I think I understand you pretty well

I don't recognize your user name and I don't think I have read anything you have written though I might have - I have just been through a rough patch in my life and could have easily missed any previous post

All the best though - perhaps seeing a therapist could help you kick-start your life again and keep in touch - if you use the thread and tag me I am pretty likely to answer

Dec

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance