Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Seeking Answers to My Questions

@P12 

Hello P12,

The following extract is from a Wikipedia discussion on Thomas Hobbes (5 April 1588 – 4 December 1679), an English philosopher. Hobbes works are, in part, a discourse on his observations about political, commercial, and social ideas of the time. When I read the article, I was reminded of our discussion, which, while mostly specific to our present time and culture, carries some of the ideas that you and I have discussed. I hope that it will add some interest and development to our discussion.

Quote:    “Beginning from a mechanistic understanding of human beings and their passions, Hobbes postulates what life would be like without government, a condition which he calls the state of nature. In that state, each person would have a right, or license, to everything in the world. This, Hobbes argues, would lead to a "war of all against all" (bellum omnium contra omnes). The description contains what has been called one of the best-known passages in English philosophy, which describes the natural state humankind would be in, were it not for political community:[35]

In such condition, there is no place for industry; because the fruit thereof is uncertain: and consequently no culture of the earth; no navigation, nor use of the commodities that may be imported by sea; no commodious building; no instruments of moving, and removing, such things as require much force; no knowledge of the face of the earth; no account of time; no arts; no letters; no society; and which is worst of all, continual fear, and danger of violent death; and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.[36]

In such states, people fear death and lack both the things necessary to commodious living, and the hope of being able to obtain them. So, in order to avoid it, people accede to a social contract and establish a civil society. According to Hobbes, society is a population and a sovereign authority, to whom all individuals in that society cede some right[37] for the sake of protection. Power exercised by this authority cannot be resisted, because the protector's sovereign power derives from individuals' surrendering their own sovereign power for protection. The individuals are thereby the authors of all decisions made by the sovereign,[38] "he that complaineth of injury from his sovereign complaineth that whereof he himself is the author, and therefore ought not to accuse any man but himself, no nor himself of (suffering 1.) injury because to do injury to one's self is impossible". There is no doctrine of separation of powers in Hobbes's discussion.[39][40] According to Hobbes, the sovereign must control civil, military, judicial and ecclesiastical powers, even the words.”

A few thoughts for reflection and consideration

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

1.) word “suffering” added by HenryX

A few weeks ago someone told me that if someone is unable to keep up with demands placed on them for productivity, they will simply be less valued by society. They might not be excluded entirely from society but will probably earn less income than others. For example, if a car is manufactured to a really low standard such that it breaks down, has no special features, etc, it will be relatively cheap. If this is true, however, why do minimum standards exist? Cars that are unroadworthy are not permitted on public roads. If someone doesn't meet the minimum standards how can they receive value from their talents which are not nil?

I, for one, either don't understand or don't agree with the concepts of social contract and progress.

I believe Aboriginal people lived sustainably in Australia for many thousands of years without such systems.

I believe two of the most popular mental health treatment methods in Australia: cognitive behaviour theory and acceptance and commitment theory, share much with the opposing view. They encourage people to reduce worry, anxiety, sadness, and happiness; to live life sustainably.

I don't agree with capitalism because I have experienced people who have bullied, threatened, and excluded me for the sake of gaining money. I am left disillusioned, disappointed, and distraught.

My life is made difficult by laws I either don't understand or disagree with. I am effectively waiting for the time when I am asleep and can dream or the time when my life is over and I can experience some satisfaction when it doesn't exist in the real world.

Hello @P12

In response to your observations of Saturday 22 January 2022.

and others who may be interested in participating in, or reading this discussion

{Since I cannot pre-determine how people might respond to, react or interact with comments in the thread, the following members, from a non-exclusive list, are invited to the thread and will, I hope, determine for themselves, what level of participation, if any, they wish to take, according to their position, interest and personal circumstances.}

@Dimity, @Former-Member , @Clawde , @Anastasia , @Appleblossom , @Emelia8 , @greenpea , @Eve7 , @Jacques , @Mazarita , @chibam , @Lilly6 , @Molly22 , @Rosemary4 , @Faith-and-Hope , @jem80 , @Lise07 , @Herewegoround , @Rhye , @Owen45 , @Former-Member , @Shaz51 , @StuF , @MDT , @Gwynn , @SmilingGecko , @Adge , @frog , @Everan , @Former-Member , @Zoe7 , @BPDSurvivor , @TAB , @Sphinxly , @flybluebird , @cloudcore , @Paperdaisy , @Daisydreamer 

Some of my comments are based on the extracts, from the Britannica website, regarding

"Social Contract" and "Australian Aboriginal peoples - Leadership and social control",

that follow at the end of my response.

It is easy to idealise and compartmentalise how another people or culture live, or may have lived. It may not be, or have been so easy to have lived among, or as one of those people. To say that another people do not live according to a Social Contract is, I think, to avoid the idea of what a Social Contract constitutes or, is intended to achieve, for any and all parties who live under one system or another.

It is my understanding that there were significant restrictions on who could be spoken with, or even looked at in aboriginal family and community groups. To me, such rules and sanctions sound very much like a form of Social Contract and a very rigid and strictly imposed one at that. To my knowledge, adherence to some of those rules, sanctions or lore, or variations of them, are still required today, in some family groups.

Neither would I equate the mental health treatments of CBT and ACT as being in conflict with adherence to a Social Contract, or that they even, necessarily, support the idea of sustainable living, in whatever form that may take. A reduction in levels of worry, anxiety, and sadness are likely to improve a persons level of happiness, whatever the environment in which they may live.

It is also my belief, based on factual material distributed for the benefit of all {or, which may have been "cooked up" by capitalists, who want to keep us controlled and passive}, that being bullied, threatened, and excluded for the sake of gaining money or acquisition of goods and, or power, by some over others, are situations that are not confined or restricted to the state of life within a capitalist social, economic or political environment. Indeed, those types of behaviours and treatments, and far worse, appear to exist under most, if not all other political and social structures, of which I am aware.

Normally, when I have felt distressed, disillusioned, disappointed, distraught and despairing, I have had to look within my self to seek for the reasons for those feelings, rather than outside myself. It is normally my own internal reaction or response to the external events, or memories of such events, that cause me distressing feelings. That is so, even when I believe those feelings may have initially been developed as a result of stimuli from outside my self. My present concerns relate to my present thoughts that are inside myself. Even when those thoughts are centred, associated with, or focussed on circumstances that exist or have ever existed outside myself.

While, I believe, that the experience of happiness can be shared, I do not believe that it is a collective experience, but one personally experienced, often in enjoyable scenarios and environments, among and with other people, but also individually, sometimes even, while otherwise experiencing extreme states of deprivation.

If I find myself constantly battling the system in which I live, I leave myself little freedom, mentally, physically or intellectually, to enjoy any part of that living experience. If I were to find myself saying "My life is made difficult by laws I either don't understand or disagree with.", I would have to question why I am fighting so hard and enjoying so little. What is the purpose? All that, within a social framework, while it may not be the possible best, that is the best with and within which I have to work. It is likely also, definitely not the worst environment in which I could live.

However, for all that I have offered of my thoughts, I also share with you the aspiration of acquiring that state of ultimate and absolute peace, or oblivion, that awaits us.

With My Best Wishes

@HenryX

I extracted the following from the site:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/social-contract

{words in brackets, coloured purple, added by me}

Social Contract, in political philosophy, an actual or hypothetical {or implied} compact, or agreement, between the ruled or between the ruled and their rulers, defining the rights and duties of each.

In primeval times, according to the theory, individuals were born into an anarchic state of nature, which was happy or unhappy according to the particular version of the theory. They then, by exercising natural reason, formed a society (and a government) by means of a social contract.

The following extract was also taken from the Britannica site:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Australian-Aboriginal/Leadership-and-social-control

Leadership and social control

{Among Australian Aboriginal People}

Aboriginal people {Apparently} had no chiefs or other centralized institutions of social or political control. In various measures, Aboriginal societies exhibited both hierarchical and egalitarian tendencies, but they were classless; an egalitarian ethos predominated, the subordinate status of women notwithstanding. However, there is evidence in some areas, such as north-east Arnhem Land, Bathurst and Melville islands, western Cape York Peninsula, and among the Aranda of central Australia, that strong leaders akin to the Melanesian “Big Man” existed and their pre-eminence in ritual matters carried over into the secular domain.

HenryX_1-1642904407738.jpeg

Aboriginal warrior

Aboriginal warrior bearing traditional body paint and ritual scars, Western Australia, 1923.

Everywhere, age and sex were the major criteria in differentiating status and roles, and it was in the religious arena that the greatest differentiation occurred. Women were excluded from the core of men’s secret-sacred ritual activities, and areas of privilege were further defined by graded acceptance of youths and adult men as they passed through rites of learning. Essentially, however, Aboriginal societies were “open”: there were no social barriers to prevent a man from becoming a leader in religious matters by his own efforts. Both men and women acquired prestige through knowledge of ritual performance and expertise in directing or performing ritual. In Great Sandy Desert rituals, for example, leadership roles were situationally determined—that is, the personnel changed as the ritual being performed changed such that most senior men adopted such roles at some stage in the protracted ritual proceedings. Although desert women were far less differentiated, they did have a ritual status hierarchy. In religious affairs everywhere, women took orders from, rather than gave orders to, initiated men.

Traditionally, most dissension arose over women, religious matters, and death. Some women fought with husbands, eloped, and engaged in unsanctioned extramarital liaisons. Such behaviour could mean serious fighting involving relatives of the parties concerned. Infringement of sacred law was less direct in its social repercussions but was nevertheless regarded as the most serious of all. In many cases an ordinary or accidental death had wide ramifications, particularly if they were accompanied by accusations of sorcery. An inquest was held, and, through divination, a supposed “murderer” was found, against whom punitive measures might or might not be taken.

Aboriginal people relied heavily on effective socialization and the inculcation of a high level of self-regulation, reinforced by strongly developed emotions of shame and embarrassment, to ensure individual conformity to society’s rules. Wrongdoers were generally more afraid of secular sanctions or sorcery than they were of supernatural punishment, since the withdrawn creative beings did not punish individuals. The rules were unwritten but known to all, and an array of sanctions, positive and negative, supported them. When action was called for against transgressors, role allocation depended on the kinship relationships involved. For example, elder brothers were often the major punishers of errant younger brothers but were also their nurturers and defenders in the case of an unwarranted attack.

The maintenance of law and order was quite narrowly localized. Authority was limited and qualified by kinship claims. Precedents were sought in order to guide or influence actions resulting from a breach, and all societies followed approved procedures for maintaining the peace. There were no judicial bodies as such, though on the lower Murray River a formal council, or tendi, of clan headmen and elders did arbitrate disagreements between adjacent groups. Generally, simple informal meetings of elders and men of importance dealt with grievances and other matters. There was also settlement by ordeal—the most outstanding example of this sort being the Makarrata (magarada, or maneiag) of Arnhem Land. During a ritualized meeting, the accused ran the gauntlet of his accusers, who threw spears at him; a wounded thigh was taken as proof of guilt.

Although it is inaccurate to speak of a gerontocracy in Aboriginal Australia, men of importance were easily distinguished. They were usually elders who had this status not necessarily because of their age or gray hair but because of their religious position and personal energy. {End}

Hi @HenryX  Will try and read your message now. I honestly need new glasses

Hey @P12 

I definitely agree that "progress" can be over-rated, and also see @HenryX 's point to be careful if idealise other cultures.  Eg Indian culture of meditation and yoga was popular when I was in my 20s, there was a tendency to romanticise it by many. A recent Indian migrant had no idea that I had books on the subject older than she was.

That said, there is a diversity of cultural heritage in this country.  How to make the most of it?  I am learning to sing my own culture a little louder than be prey to exoticism, yet want to remain open to learning as that is the best way for me ,, that the world goes round ...

atm I am reading

The Yield

"https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/jan/23/the-yield-by-tara-june-winch-review-reclaiming-austral...

which interestingly interweaves 3 voices from different gender, generations, religious and ethinc cultures ....

Thanks for tagging me in, @HenryX!

You're asking some very interesting questions, @P12, which I am understanding as being about finding meaningful occupation - am I barking up the right tree here?

If you get a chance to bend the ear of an occupational therapist, I would recommend you do so - they could help you find a meaningful volunteer position.

https://www.palgrave.com/gp/campaigns/happiness-and-wellbeing/meaningful-work-and-well-being
"Scholars have identified four key attributes of meaningful work (Cameron, 2012). First, meaningful work has an important positive impact on the well-being of human beings. Second, the work is associated with an important virtue or personal value. Third, the work has an impact that extends beyond the immediate time frame or creates a ripple effect. Finally, meaningful work builds supportive relationships and a sense of community among people. Meaningfulness means that both the work itself and the context within which the work is performed is perceived as purposeful and significant (Pratt & Ashworth, 2003). These perceptions may derive from the intrinsic characteristics of the work itself or from the mission and values the organization is pursuing."
What do you think about this quote?

I guess something that helps me is that I can skill up the more I practice at an aspect of my work - for example, working the sales desk at the local op shop gets me more used to customer service situations, which will stand me in good stead for when I apply for work as a librarian (who may need to deal with customers at the reference desk). Therefore, what I am talented in isn't set in stone and I could take on jobs where I'm not naturally good at all aspects of the role - YET!

I see you are a scientist - have you considered taking part in citizen science projects? Ages ago, I participated in my local council's stream health snapshot, where I took samples from a creek bed and identified the bugs we found according to a key. It had positive impact on the wellbeing of human beings through measuring the health of our environment, it tied in with my personal value of looking after the environment, the work is still relevant today as a measure of the creek's health then vs now, and I got to meet a lot of interesting people in my local area.

@P12 my view is that voluntary work doesn't help the economy so organisations try to put people into paid roles. Then they have to decide which people are right for which paid position. Yes the workforce sucks! I gave up on it years ago. I have a vision impairment so already I only exist to myself. I live in my own little square. And I'll be stuck in that little square world for the rest of my life. This has created so many psychiatric issues for me and because people aren't living my life under my circumstances, it's just another "fixable issue for them". Ok. What is fixable about my life? I still haven't received a valid intelligent answer to this day, but nobody wants to admit that there is none. Most people want me off my medications but nobody will accept that I need to be on them. I don't like tossing stuff under the carpet. Just be polite but honest, with me. The nicest, most possible, wishy-washy and offense-free, truthful answer for myself is that I need to live my own life and let everyone else live their own lives. I need to live in society but not take it on. I need to value myself while not allowing society to push its values onto me. Society is for others. I need to find my own way in this world. I need to create my own answers, my own solutions to problems, make up my own advice and take it, create my own support system. Nobody else is doing it for me. Society hasn't reached out to me. There's a few individuals on here and offline, sure! But that's it! I'm no part of a "true" community. I'm just existing purely for the sake of it because I didn't ask to be born.

The way I see this @P12, is the law is there for law-abiding citizens. Police aren't here to help those who are following the laws (different ways of interpreting and following said laws). So basically, people are using the law to their advantage to bully you. If somebody can get away with bullying without actually breaking the law to do it, they will. And it's attrocious in our day and age. When it comes to capitalism, it's the way we all go about it that's the problem. People misuse communism just as they would misuse capitalism. So either way you look at this whole political situation and different forms of government, there's no real way to entirely prevent flaws in any system, as sucky as that is.

Hello @Gwynn .

Thank you for replying to my message.

My questions are not entirely about employment, more the structure of society as a whole, though as employment is a major part of society, I feel that understanding it would help me.

I am hesitant with your statement that an occupational therapist would help me because although several other forum users have suggested the same thing, when I enquired to an occupational therapist they told me the profession is better suited individuals with practical difficulties in employment. For example, those who are either physically or intellectually disabled. They and other mental health clinicians told me the best professional for my concern is either a social worker or clinical psychologist. I have consulted both but feel no closer to resolving my concerns. I have also participated in mentoring programmes, including a coaching programme I am currently enrolled in and another mentoring programme for which I have applied.

The part of your quote about meaningful employment I don't understand well is the first and fourth aspects which state meaningful work involves "important positive impact on the well-being of human beings" and "builds supportive relationships and a sense of community among people". It seems the quote requires that work requires someone or a group of people have a demand for the work performed by another person. I don't understand why someone whose interests are not shared by other people, at least not in their current lifetime, should be excluded from society.

I have considered participating in Citizen Science, but when I looked through the list of 300+ projects in Australia, I found none that matched my interests. Organisations or projects with whom I would like to participate told me they don't accept volunteers.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance