Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Seeking Answers to My Questions

@P12 

Hi P12, 

In response to your question about volunteer appointments, I would suggest that the organisations with which you are offering service as a volunteer are not averse to appointing volunteers, but are unable to do so. I believe that there are a number of reasons that it is difficult to be appointed to volunteer roles in many organisations, companies and businesses:

• Insurance and liability – while there is limited con-tractability by which the volunteer is bound to the organisation, the organisation is bound to provide training, possibly suitable clothing, insurance cover for accidents or incidents, were the company ever to be found to be negligent (remember legal 'minefield'). These base costs are incurred whether the volunteer is present or not.

• The engagement of volunteers complicates workload planning and analysis and is more time consuming.

• The volunteer is not bound by time-frames for work in the way that a regular employee is.

• There may be legal restrictions to engaging a volunteer, the criteria for which most organisations, companies and businesses would not meet.

• Employee organisations, unions, would throw a big wobbly if a person were to be engaged on a volunteer basis, to perform a role that would normally be undertaken by a paid employee. Such an arrangement would undermine all the benefits that presently accrue to employees in paid positions.

On the other hand:

• Organisations such as State Emergency Service (SES), Rural & Country Fire Brigade, St John Ambulance, and other similar volunteer service providers such as church based organisations, are normally covered under legislation for provision of the amenities for volunteer service (clothing, training, insurance coverage, etc) whereas most regular businesses would not be covered under that legislated criteria.

I believe those are some of the reasons that it has been suggested that you may have a better chance of securing a paid part time or casual position.

For the reasons above, I believe that your best chance of obtaining a volunteer position is to apply for membership of a volunteer organisation. I have been a member of the S.E.S. Most people joining that, and other similar organisations, are most often interested in the outside/outdoors activities, like scaling cliff faces to rescue people, helping with the practical needs of people after severe climatic events, fighting fires in bush and residential locations, clean-up after storms and cyclones.

Regular training is provided with weekday and weekend training programs etc, that add to the appeal. All these activities require administrative and stores support (equipment, clothing orders, reciept records & distribution, writing up events and training material and records), for which there is not generally the same enthusiasm.

In emergencies, bases of operation are set up in which there is the need for people trained in radio operation, plotting the progress of events on maps, maintaining communications with people inside the operations area and outside, etc - training is provided for all these roles as well. If some of these roles appeal to you and that's the type of work that you are seeking, I would suggest looking at those organisations

Positions in organisations like these also allow a person, who is returning to the workforce, the opportunity to gauge their own performance, without the pressures that exist in a paid position. Any 'pressure' is normally self-generated, in line with commitment, which I think is better and more stabilising than external pressure.

While there is a certain commitment required, the conditions are reasonably flexible. The experience will be an asset to you should you ever wish to apply for a paid, part-time, casual or full-time position. And there is a sense of service to the community whether in training or in response to a call-out.

These types of positions also carry a social aspect and there is a high level of interpersonal support and camaraderie that is often not found in other organisations and businesses.  Often, there is an acceptance of people experiencing difficulties or who have any form of disability. The very fact that a person wishes to contribute is the reason for that acceptance. Obviously, I can't speak for all groups, however, that is what I have observed in the unit that I was attached to and when we were on joint training exercises with other units.

Hoping that this information helps you, P12, in finding the type of work that you are seeking.

With Best Wishes

HenryX

Thank you @HenryX for your detailed and thoughtful response, especially as you apparently wrote at at 3:20 am (unless you are in a different country).

I am seeking a role in scientific research with an organisation such as a university.

I have a paid job but the work is unfulfilling and has dispropportional effect on my wellbeing because I am an outsider, I'm not allowed to work on topics or in methods that suit my talents and interests, and I am made fun of and excluded because I don't fit in. I once reported an incident towards me that made me sick, but I was made to feel I was at fault for not being able to overcome the incident myself. I apparently cannot perform a role suitable for myself and must receive criticism because I am not well suited to my role.

I have volunteered leading bushwalks with bushwalking clubs and groups for the past five years and am mostly free to make my walks as remote and difficult, or closeby and simple as possible.

I feel I don't understand very well why someone cannot volunteer for a role in an industry or position of their choice. I will continue to try new techniques, ask questions, and hopefully one day in my life I will understand.

Hello P12

It is obnoxious behaviour, which I find abhorrent, when people are bullied, belittled, abused or experience any other form of ill-treatment. I am disappointed that you have suffered the indignity of being treated in the way that you have described. Though there has been much progress during my work-life, there are still people who think that they have such elevation that they can put others 'down'. Indeed, those who attempt to elevate themselves by demeaning others, show how little they really think of themselves, that they are reduced to using such tactics. Unfortunately, there are also still remnants of such thinking in some management areas, so I can understand the response that you received when you reported the incident. I can only hope that that type of thinking is dying out.

What I was pleased to read about, in your response, was your description of the bush-walks that you lead and the freedom that you have to, presumably, match the duration, difficulty and type to the people to whom you are offering these opportunities.

Yes I am up at some strange times, though while I could be in another country, I live in Western Australia. Sometimes, one might think it is another country, the way that things have been unfolding. So I was writing at about 1:20 am. Living on my own means that I don't disturb anyone else with any of my activities in my home.

My concern at this stage is that, as you say:

I feel I don't understand very well why someone cannot volunteer for a role in an industry or position of their choice.”

I do believe, that it will only be by understanding the reasons for the difficulty in finding positions that would be available to work as a volunteer, that you will be able to find a way around, through or over that barrier. I also think that as a volunteer, you may find your work conditions very much restricted, since it is likely that you would be offered only the most pedestrian of roles and activities.

I do like your last statement, that while you may not understand the reasons, you will

continue to try new techniques, ask questions, and hopefully, one day in my life I will........” find the position that suits me best, as a volunteer or paid employee.

That last sentence I have finished off in the way that I hope you might be thinking. To that end, (maybe not end, but rather stage), I would be pleased to discuss any suggestions or proposals that may help you achieve your desired goals.

With My Very Best Wishes

HenryX

Thank you again, @HenryX .

I am inspired by your ideas because they suggest you have a strong understanding of how societies truly operate and this is something in which I am poor. I will practise:

1. Having the ability to understand the economic and social structure of a community so one can position themself in a role where they can earn a basic wage to sustain themself while simultaneously providing themself with opportunities to pursue their goals.

2. Having the ability to persist with my goals using the opportunities provided by myself irrespective of the criticism and exclusion provided by other people.

3. Having the ability to (ethically) work secretly on one's interests and values while seemingly engaged in another role.

4. Having an appreciation of those who persist in practicing values that are seemingly unwanted by society. The best example that comes to mind is religion, but in my experience it also includes science, charity, lifestyle, and all other aspects of the human condition.

A short while ago, I witnessed a homeless person blatently breaking a law while a police officer walked past without saying anything. This made me realise that some, if not all, laws may be notionally only and not truly written for the wellbeing of a government's citizens. I've always believed lawful people don't require laws to live by, for they know how to survive in nature without being told what to do. What is the basis for the having laws that have these strange features?

However, many businesses do enforce rules against their employees. For example, it is supposedly common sense that employees may not discuss business practices with someone from another business, as this will break competitive advantage that one organisation may have over another. But, at the same time, businesses work in only small subsets of practice, and staff are forced to work in roles for which they are poorly suited. What is the basis for these strange practices? And how may a employee find a role more naturally suited to their talents if their employer forbids them from acting against company interest, but they are ill-suited to the role they have?

@P12 

Hello P12

Thank you for your notes of the 16 Jun and this evening (30 Jun)

I noted your observations about:

1. Understanding of community in order to position oneself in a role of choice

2. Ability to persist in spite of opposition

3. Ethically work on projects, incorporating our own interests and values

4. Having appreciation for those who continue to practice their lives according to worthy value systems and ideals

"

It seems to be the case that employers in general will reward commitment to the team and organisation. Where a person appears to only have regard for their own interests, they are likely to be side-lined, when a position, that may otherwise suit them, becomes available. It is unfortunately true that organisations, employers and employees, as individuals, often apply the principles of self interest to their organisation and position. A person who recognises that principle may consider themselves likely to be advanced within the structure.

"

In terms of your observation about

“employees may not discuss business practices with someone from another business, as this will break competitive advantage that one organisation may have over another.”

It is not really about the competitive advantage that one organisation may have over another. Rather it is the combined advantage of the two organisations, by virtue of any such agreement to, in effect, cause a higher price to be paid by the consumer.

An employee of one organisation might divulge information to another competitive organisation or company, or an actual agreement may be made between the companies. If that information or agreement was considered to be in contravention of the “Australian Competition Law”, the two companies could be liable for prosecution under that law. This legislation is designed to protect the consumer (you and me) against price fixing and other anti-competitive practices. Competition is in this manner, to the advantage of the consumer.

The following is copied from the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission ( ACCC) website.

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/anti-competitive-behaviour/anti-competitive-conduct

Quote: “Section 45 of the Competition and Consumer Act prohibits contracts, arrangements, understandings or concerted practices that have the purpose, effect or likely effect of substantially lessening competition in a market, even if that conduct does not meet the stricter definitions of other anti-competitive conduct such as cartels.”

"

I like the expression that “lawful people don't require laws to live by”. That expression would be most applicable where everyone lived lawfully. Unfortunately, my feeling is that the opposite is probably true. Currently, laws are making imposition on our lives in ways that are disproportional to any advantage to the wider community. We are having discretion in how we live and our actions restricted in so many apparently petty ways.

"

It is certain that we live in an imperfect social and cultural environment. However, our communications now make it clear that there are, even in this day and age, some very significantly worse countries and states in which to live.

"

We might well have given thanks for the removal of the Berlin wall and the supposed opening of the Russian states. It was not so long ago that we perceived a new dialogue to be possible with China. Both of those aspirations are, by now, no longer evident or considered realistic.

"

I mention those issues, in part, as a reflection on the fact that our lot may not be so bad as it might otherwise be at present. Also, that some of the business structures, practices and ethics, in terms of how business is conducted, actually do provide for us a more decent standard of living than in many (possibly, most) other places in the world.

"

Unfortunately, while we may decry the so-called industrial revolution, it appears that there are countries that will suck all the developed industrial capacity from our country and others, which, in time, may be very much to our cost, in terms of GDP, and such indeterminates as defence.

"

I have only touched on basic economics, but the macro-economic picture at the present time, I would think, is being painted an artificial shade of rose. If the macro structure disintegrates, our primary concern may be where we are going to get food for ourselves, family and friends. If we only have to consider shortage of toilet rolls to be a problem, we are a long way from times of real concern. Indeed, I do believe that the runs on retail products are being orchestrated, from outside this country, in order to artificially create a sense of panic and instability. Cite also, the situation of baby milk formula for example. Fortunately, I believe, that the rather stoic nature of Australians seems not to have risen to that bait.

"

While the picture I paint may seem gloomy, I am hopeful that Australia and Australians are becoming aware that we must diversify our distribution of exports and rely less on one country or cabal for supply of our manufactured goods.

"

I am aware that this little essay is not totally devoted to individual interests, however, I do believe that our individual interests depend heavily on the commercial and economic structure of this country.

"

I would be interested in your thoughts

With Best Wishes

HenryX

@HenryX Would you be willing to explain your statement below? You say that people who only have regard for their own interests are likely to be sidelined, but that a person who recognises that principle may consider themselves likely to be advanced within the structure. These statements seem contradictory.

"It seems to be the case that employers in general will reward commitment to the team and organisation. Where a person appears to only have regard for their own interests, they are likely to be side-lined, when a position, that may otherwise suit them, becomes available. It is unfortunately true that organisations, employers and employees, as individuals, often apply the principles of self interest to their organisation and position. A person who recognises that principle may consider themselves likely to be advanced within the structure."

@P12 

Hello P12

Thank you for your reply and request for clarification on the issue of self versus corporate or organisational interest.

What I am saying is that it becomes a matter of self interest for some people to commit themselves to the interests of the organisation in which they are employed or in some way occupied. I believe that applies to any organisational structure, from a business of two people or a major corporation of 100's or 1000's of people.

I believe that I have experienced some of the issues that you have described facing. I worked in a government department where I was supposed to take about 10 minutes per client (probably less). I could not see how I could service the needs of most of the clients I dealt with in that time-frame. Consequently, while the clients may have felt as though they received appropriate service, I was not meeting the organisational objective in terms of the number of clients that I saw each day. I believe, because of that and no doubt, other reasons, I was not successful in gaining promotion to positions at a higher pay level, for which I applied.

Consequently, it may be seen that it would have been in my best interests, from at least an income perspective, to have met the organisational objectives and expectations. So, in many employment situations, there is a conflict between what we see may be a personal sense of achievement and, on the other hand, meeting the organisational expectations and targets, by which other personal objectives, like improved income, prestige, security, etc., are received.

It is by meeting corporate or organisational objectives that we can improve our own position, in terms of security, income, recognition by peers and management. However, there may be times when we forgo those benefits because of our personal beliefs, expectations of ourselves and sense of service to others.

I believe that this conflict of self versus others extends into all areas of life in a community of people.

Please let me know if I have clarified my position on the statement to which you referred.

With Best Wishes

HenryX

Hello @HenryX . Are you willing to explain these sentences further?

"Rather it is the combined advantage of the two organisations, by virtue of any such agreement to, in effect, cause a higher price to be paid by the consumer .... This legislation is designed to protect the consumer (you and me) against price fixing and other anti-competitive practices. Competition is in this manner, to the advantage of the consumer."

Who provides for consumers whose demands are not met by companies and who for workers who are working in roles for which they are not suited?

@P12

Hello P12

In response to your request, that I have included as a quote below, for development of the ideas that I have previously offered:

Quote: “{"Rather, it is the combined advantage of the two organisations, by virtue of any such agreement to, in effect, cause a higher price to be paid by the consumer .... This legislation is designed to protect the consumer (you and me) against price fixing and other anti-competitive practices. Competition is, in this manner, to the advantage of the consumer."

Who provides for consumers whose demands are not met by companies and who (provides) for workers who are working in roles for which they are not suited?}”

I offer the following observations:

1. An extreme example of no competition, in a particular market, is a monopoly. A company that has a monopoly in the market can set their prices at whatever value that their consumer market will bear. Consequently, a company, that has a monopoly in the market, is most likely to set the highest price possible, that the market will accept, on its product or service. The price is likely to increase, until the demand by consumers, in that market, drops and the consumer chooses to forgo any advantage offered by their use of the product, or service, and then chooses not to purchase the product.

2. In the case where there are two or more companies supplying the same or similar products or services, each company now has to consider how low the price is, or will be set, by the other company or companies, as well as the price that the consumer market, to which they are selling, will bear, or pay for that product or service.

This competition in the market place, effectively puts downward pressure on the prices that the consumer pays for the goods or services supplied to that consumer market. That is presented, to the market, as lower prices that the consumer pays for those products and services.

If the prices, of products or services offered by companies, are forced too low, it is likely that one or more companies will be forced out of the production of product, or provision of service, in that market. This will, theoretically, occur when the income-price available to the producer, no longer covers the costs incurred in production and distribution of the product or service.

{This example assumes that a company would continue to produce and provide a product or service to the point of zero profit}.

In this case, it could mean that the product or service might become unavailable to consumers. There are legal provisions that are designed to protect companies from being forced out of a market or business in this way.

3. The laws that exist and the ACCC, are intended to maintain the competitive advantage that is in favour of the consumer. This type of information, material and knowledge is offered in economics courses in upper secondary school curricula and 101 courses at universities. The information is available through the textbooks and other sources, such as are applicable for those courses.

4. The ACCC acts on behalf of consumers to prevent companies from operating in collusion, and thereby, acting as monopolies or cartels. If you search cartel in your web browser, you will see a description very similar to that which I have given.

• Providing for consumers, whose demands are not met by companies?

---For this question I would need an example of a consumer need, demand, product or service that is not currently provided to consumers by a company or companies.

However point 2. above, may, in part, answer that question.

• for workers who are working in roles for which they are not suited?

---Would you mind giving me a specific example of a situation where a person, who is currently working, but wishes to change occupation, cannot?

In Australia, we have a free and open labour market system, as is the case in most democratic countries. No-one is told where they can or cannot work.

However, incentives may be provided, to encourage applicants for positions that may, otherwise, not be appealing, by virtue of location, type of work involved, conditions, pay rates, etc.

On the other hand, disincentives may be applied, where people, who are not employed and depend on public funded income, want to move to locations where they have no prospect of gaining employment.

In some other countries, I believe, many of the working population are not given the opportunity to make such choices about the type of work, conditions or location of jobs for which they are employed. It is my belief that some people still work, in some countries, in what amount to slave like conditions.

In Australia, job choices and selections are made by people, seeking employment in the market, based on their qualifications, location of position, conditions of employment, style of employer (private or public sector), small business or large, etc.

In choosing work, a person places values on each of the criteria, in terms of what is more or less important to themselves. I believe, that there are no jobs that suit anyone perfectly. Because of that, we all have to make concessions, in some way, with regard to, and in terms of, our personally desired and qualification determined preferences.

I do wish to answer your questions appropriately, and can offer my thoughts, opinions and, or knowledge, with regard and reference to the depth and breadth of information that you offer. If the questions are general and broad in content and context, then that really defines the depth and breadth of any answer that I can offer.

If you have any other questions, I would be happy to offer you my thoughts, opinions or knowledge.

With My Best Wishes

HenryX

PS: I have edited the content of this post with additional ideas and information. 14 July '21

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance