Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Word for the Day - Comfort or Play

Well it can be a bit addictive @Former-Member good that it's working for you though. Yes, good choice, It makes me think of George's father in Seinfeld though .. with 'serenity now! ' in that one episode

Morning all, I've just discovered this thread and it speaks to the 🤓in me so I thought I'd stop by and give it a go!

The word I'm running with today is...

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 10.17.26 am.png

Verklempt – overly emotional and unable to speak.

It's got me pondering, do we think there's such a thing as being "overly" emotional? As most of us can experience a range of emotion, and emotions are better out than in, I'm wondering whether it's helpful to refer to having emotions in such a way?

Would love to hear others thoughts so I'm going to tag a few forum mates @TAB @Faith-and-Hope @HenryX @Eve7 @Appleblossom @Shaz51 @pinklollipop15 @maddison @petrichor @Adge @TheVorticon @Judi9877 @BlueBay @greenpea @Gwynn @Bill16 @Emelia8 

Great question @Rhye . I'm a bit of a word 🤓 too. I keep a list & write down new words I hear. Verklempt is one of the them!

I'm feeling verklempt today, with the overwhelmingly sad news on tv.

I think you are on to something regarding labelling emotions as "too much". Sometimes this can have an opposite effect i.e cause more intense emotions by invalidating them.

It reminds me of an old song by Jewel - " please be careful with me... I'm sensitive & Id like to stay that way" 💜

Exactly @maddison! Some of us are okay with expressing our emotions, and are content with allowing them to simply be 😊

Verklempt is quite apt for what's transpiring in the news atm 😔

Great to have another word nerd in the club! 💃🏻

Love it @Rhye 

Hi @maddison 

Def a word nerd here.

https://sites.psu.edu/kielarpassionblog2/2016/03/17/verklempt/ 

Singing german atm ... so this felt ... approppo!

I have held a lot of positions on most feeling wheels ... or emotion spectrums ... I like the bit about it coming from Old English  clam ... and talk of germanic roots ... and ooolala ... we see how similar the languages are ...

Ha @Appleblossom, doesn't it just make you feel all giddy thinking about it 😁

I hold a strong preference for the interpretation you found, this sounds far more apropros (is that the correct use in a sentence??).

“the state of being completely overcome with emotion.”

I can only see “overly emotional” ever applying if it causes someone’s life to become completely dysfunctional to the point of breakdown.  “Emotional” like almost everything in life is on a sliding spectrum, so I love this new word, thank you 🙏 

@Rhye @Appleblossom @maddison 

Absolute pleasure @Faith-and-Hope.

Agreed, there are times that emotions can feel consuming to the point of dysfunction, and those are not fun times at all!

I am on the page of being a highly emotional person and wouldn’t want it any other way.  In my thinking it gives me a deeper experience of life @Rhye 

I can't imagine what it would feel like not to feel the lows because I'm not sure I'd appreciate the highs in quite the same way @Faith-and-Hope 💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance