Skip to main content

Re: Wait what did I come into this thread for again? Oh yeah, ADHD!

Aww @greenspace I am so sorry to hear of your loss! Our fur babies are so precious to us, losing one is like losing a family member. Sending you soooo many hugs! 💜🫂

Oooh @greenspace just saw your other post about film club and ADHD club - first off film club sounds amazing! Feel free to share about any of the movies you've been watching!

And secondly, how do you find the ADHD club? I am always wanting to recommend that kind of thing to people, because of how valuable I have found it in my own life to be able to connect to other ND folks... but I've never actually tried it and wanted to get a feel for what kind of things you get up to!!

thank you so much @Jynx  Fern really was part of my family, and a big part of my life for 15 years

@Jynx  films we've discussed so far include a good range of comedies and dramas, old and new, such as Joyland, But I'm a Cheerleader, Bottoms, Free Fall, D.E.B.S., Monster (Japan, 2023), Challengers...

and still to discuss are Strange Way of Life, Bad Education, Saving Face, Driveaway Dolls, Ellie & Abbie & Ellie's Dead Aunt... 

things I like about the ADHD discussion group on MeetUp: everyone has ADHD, we're all from different backgrounds and have different experiences of being ADHDers, but we all want to live as well as we can with our neurodivergence, learn about it, share stories, laugh, complain, ask for tips on how to manage... I've only taken part a few times, twice in one of the monthly discussions, and once we all did a drawing tutorial from YouTube. some people go most months, some drop in & out (like me), there's no pressure or judgement about that. some people are recently diagnosed, some are self-diagnosed, some were diagnosed years ago, maybe a decade or more ago, whether as children or as adults... 

things I find difficult about the group: I think the structure is good -- starting with the whole group, then splitting into smaller groups of 3 or 4 in breakout rooms, then finishing up back in the whole group -- but an hour & a half can be both too long (I'm often tired to start with, and 90 minutes of interacting is a lot for me) and too short (lots of good conversations started that we might not get to finish). it can be difficult if people in a small group have very different needs/wants from the interaction -- whether they want to just chat, or ask questions about ADHD, or someone might be struggling with other issues (co-existing ND conditions, or life circumstances, etc) and want to talk more than listen... 

Lots of us have rejection sensitivity. 

overall, I'm glad to have taken part each time I've attended online, and I'm looking forward to going to more

Oh wow thanks for the detailed write up @greenspace!!

Oooh so many films I haven't heard of - I think the only one I've seen is 'But I'm a Cheerleader' - a classic! Are any of the other films queer-oriented as well? Any of the ones listed you'd recommend? I'm always down for some film analysis hehe

That's cool about the group, and yeah I think 'navigating conflicting needs' is probably the most common thing to come up when a group of ND's get together 😅 For example, I am someone who struggles to moderate my volume, especially when excited. But that can become a sensory nightmare for folks with sound sensitivity! Like me, I am very sensitive to sound. And yes, sometimes I am so loud I hurt my own ears... lol

In any case, that makes me very happy to hear! And means I can deffo make the recommendation for others, cos it's always super healing to spend time with other ND's, or at least has been in my experience.

Thanks so much for sharing 😊

@Toast89 

come and meet some members @MessyGirl , @Glisten , @Oaktree , @greenspace , @Jynx 

Ahoy hoy!

👋🏼 @Toast89 How has your FriYAY been?

Fridays been a bit everywhere! My dog is also named Friday so she's been a bit spooked due to the whacky weather. I don't blame her either. 

Had a good steak dinner so at least I was able to do that today and showered >_>. 

@Toast89 if you do the @ a drop down list should come up. You can select who you want to tag. So they don’t miss you post 👍🏼

You must be in SA or VIC? Isn’t that where the wild weather is happening?

What sort of dog is Friday?

If you got out of bed, had a shower 🚿 and brushed your teeth 🦷 

You are doing GREAT 😊