Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Taking the plunge

Very true, the atmosphere at the MCG is different to most other grounds @Zoe7 , and not just due to the capacity of spectators.  There is something abou the MCG.  I have been to 3 matches down there, all involving the Swans of course.  But also been to a couple of matches at whats now called Marvel Stadium.  Thats great there too, but not the atmosphere of the MCG.  It will be good for a young team like the Lions to get a game under their belt at the MCG, then they will have some idea of what to expect. 

Most of the games I have attended have been at Marvel but a few at the MCG @Former-Member You somehow feel closer to the action at the MCG despite it being a bigger stadium. We have always been there when it has been super cold too so have been well and truly rugged up. I have been to one game in Brisbane also and that is a great stadium and atmosphere when it is full. Never been to a game in Sydney even though I lived for for a while. Did watch Liverpool at ANZ stadium - and of course it was mostly filled with Liverpool supporters so that was pretty special too.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I've been to 4 or 5 AFL games at ANZ stadium @Zoe7 .  I was also there for the Sydney 2000 Olympics where I attended the night that Cathy Freeman won the Womens 400 meters.  That was great, such excitement and a hush through the massive crowd as she took the bend.  Wow .. that was a memorable occasion that one. But I'm sure with you being a Liverpool supporter, the match you watched would have been pretty thrilling as well.

But back to the stadiums.  I have been to 4 games of AFL at the SCG, plus a couple of ODI's between Australia and the touring teams of the year.  That was really good too.  I have also been to 2 days of an Ashes cricket match at the MCG, that was good.

I think we have discussed previously that the new Parramatta stadium looks like a really good place to watch footy at.  You would feel as though you were right on top of the game I'd say ... from looking at it on tele anyway.

Oh @Former-Member Seeing Cathy Freeman live would have just about topped my list. It was emotional enough watching it on tv - such a moment in history Smiley Very Happy

I agree - Parra's new stadium looks absolutely amazing - hopefully one day I will get there to see a game. I have never seen an NRL game live. The couple of opportunities I have had there has aways been something that has got in the way. The very first time it rained quite heavily and was cold. I was only 12 and the person that was going to take me was elderly so it wasn't a great idea we went in the wet and cold.

The very first AFL game I saw live was actually a Sydney-Essendon match. We then went to Fitzroy's last match against Richmond the following day. I used to go to at least one game a year in Melbourne but have not been for many years. I don't really miss seeing the live games - happy now staying at home with my fur babies and watching it on tv.

I have been to many cricket matches in Hobart though - one dayers and Hurricanes matches mostly. I do love the 20/20 games - the atmosphere is always great.

Watching the Essendon-Collingwood game at the moment - going for Essendon of course ...anyonem againstn Collingwood lol

Going to head off myself @Former-Member Need rest again so will snuggle up with Toby on the couch and try to watch the rest of the football. I suspect I will fall asleep pretty soon though. Hope you can sleep well tonight Hon. Goodnight sweet Sherry Heart

Former-Member
Not applicable

Okay @Zoe7, I hope you sleep well and awaken feeling much improved again in the morning.
I have been watching a bit of the AFL between Collingwood and Essendon myself. In between overs in the cricket that is. Aussies are doing well in the cricket, but just gone to lunch. So I'm back on the AFL again. I too am going for Essendon. Does anybody actually like Collingwood I wonder? Unfortunately Collingwood won. 

Yes the olympics was very special. And the way the crowd, which was massive and raucous, went into a suspenseful hush when Cathy was behind was kind of eerie. Then when she came out in front around the bend, the crowd just errupted. Wonderful to be a part of. Yes very true, I think it has been judged many times to be one of the great moments in sport. And I was there! 😊

The first AFL game I watched at the MCG was in fact Swans vs Essendon. They flogged us by double points I recall. Something like 160-80. That was before we started to get a few wins. I have also seen a match between Swans and St Kilda at the Canberra Stadium. Cant recall how come they played there now, but it was good. These days the AFL games are played at Manuka Oval, and I have been to a couple of matches there too. I've also seen a few Brumbies matches at Canberra Stadium.

Yes there is definitely something to be said for watching great sport from the comfort of home. But I really think that AFL loses a lot on TV. TV just cannot show all thats happening around the ground. The game is not just played on the ball, there are matchups all around the ground, not just where the ball is. If you watch a live game, you get so much more perspective on the game and on how much work goes in off the ball. Where as with rugby league for example, all the action is on the ball, and the TV camera's are able to catch it all. Not the case with AFL however.

Well I do hope you sleep well Zoe, and are feeling well enough to enjoy your weekend. I realise you still have a fair amount of work prep to do prior to Monday. Good night to you too dear Zoe.

Good night also @Former-Member, if you are checking in. Thinking of you, and worrying a little too.

Sherry 💤😴💕

Hi everyone

How's your cuppa @Maggie? I've popped the kettle on if you'd like one 🌸

Hope your morning has started well enough

@CheerBear  I was heading over to your other thread and saw you here. Found us the perfect pot. Thanks for the morning cup, not a good start here, very rough night.AF90C0F9-0B40-4A5D-B34E-1344ED5556DD.jpeg

It's perfect, even before I've seen it @Maggie. Thanks 🌸

🙁 for the very rough night. Anything in particular (if you feel like sharing)?

All the housing stuff @CheerBear  My mind has me pitching my tent already.😩😩

I sent a few emails overnight, trying another politician, plus to housing telling them  I know they are mucking me around.

How are you going.?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance