Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

PrezJ
Casual Contributor

Re: Newbie

Hi I also grew up in a very dysfunctional family, alcohol, drugs & violence were just normal to me. I can completely understand the feelings & it really is something that has to be unlearned - it's great you have a supportive partner as well. Just wanted you to know you are not alone ❤

Ame96
Casual Contributor

@PrezJ 

I've lived with dv for 20 years so it's reeeally hard to unlearn. I'm here if you ever want to talk about anything! No judgement at all because I know how hard it is to go through these things. 

PrezJ
Casual Contributor

Yeah I still struggle some days with the need to please everyone - constantly apologising for little things that just don't need to be apologised for ! I always feel not good enough - not a good wife, mother, sister, friend etc. Alot of guilt. Some days are harder than others thats for sure.

Hi @Ame96 , welcome. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. 

@Ame96 wrote:

I did not and still don't have any support for anything. I've been wanting to see a shrink but can not afford it so I just keep everything in.

If you want to go to your GP and ask for a referral to a psychologist, you can get up to 10 subsidised appointments with a psychologist per year. That might give you some extra support to deal with your PTSD and flashbacks. Do you have a supportive GP?

@Ame96

If you have a chat to your gp, they can write you a mental health care plan. This will allow you to get the medicare rebates so the fee you pay will be very much reduced for up to 10 sessions.

1800 respect offers counselling online or on the phone for those who have experiences abuse or domestic violence as well.

i would maybe also do some research in your area for a womens health clinic. In my area there is a clinic that has gps, nurses, social workers, and also counsellors plus more all that are free of any costs (or some services are very low cost). it might be worth taking a look around and seeing if there is one in your area or one that you might be willing to go to.

As a result of trauma i also experience flashbacks, nightmares, panic attacks, depression and unfortunatly much more so i can relate to what your going through
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance