Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Yellowbright
Casual Contributor

Living alone with depression

I developed depression 6 months ago and started medication 4 months ago. Every month I have up/normal feeling days and then a few desperately down days where I cry, sleep and ruminate all day, on these days I feel hopeless and like I am a shadow of my old happy self and am so scared for a future where I won't be happy again or able to have a good relationship because of this change in my mental health. I don't know if I should take more medication because I'm having the bad lows or if I should keep going and enjoy the good days when they come - I feel like taking more would be going further down the rabbit hole but I desperately want to avoid the dips. Another problem is that although tbankfulky I have family and friend support, I live alone and on these down days this wreaks havoc with my thoughts, any advice for getting by and living alone with this would be so helpful please.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Living alone with depression

Hi @Yellowbright

reading your post, I am remined a lot of what I went through with depression. My bad days were very bad indeed. I lived alone throughout most of my treatment.

Yes, it might be worth asking you doctor about your medication... perhaps there is something 'extra' you could take if you are having a bad day? I lot of people here on Sane mention that they have extra medication that they can take 'just in case'. 

Can you go and stay with a reletive or friend on the days where you feel at your worst? I think having company can help a lot. It seems to ground us and take us out of ourselves.

When I had severe depression, I lived 2 and a half hours from my family, so going over to stay with them was not an option while I continued to work. (in hindsight, I was so unwell that I should not have continued to work- but that is another story.)

Also, my family could make me feel even worse, if that's possible- depending on what was going on with them at the time. There was always a lot of conflict between my parents, which made my head swim. 

If you have a calm, understanding friend, then I would approach them to see if it's possible to stay with them when you really need too. 

Are you having ongoing counselling and does this help you? 

Hi Sahara

Thank you for your quick reply, it's so good to know someone else has gone through the same thing in the past, I really like the idea of staying with a friend when I feel this way, I think it would take the focus off how I was feeling and like you said, it would ground me - thanks for the good advice 🙂 I am in therapy at the moment but mostly we have talked about past issues, which has helped me make progress but I think I need to bring the topic to how I am currently dealing with things and see if they could help me with some strategies for coping on the bad days.
I am sorry that staying with family was troubling for you, I know what that can be like and it doesn't help at all - I so hope your in a happier place now - thanks again!

I have walked your road.  Sometimes it took all the power away from me - I found physical work/activity was good for interupting the power of the "down".  I set myself goals and really focused on delivery - again the down power was interupted.  The more I set off for my activity the more power was lost by "down".

I have been seeing my psychatrist for some 15 years and been on lots of medication - but I still had to take responsibility for my own depression and, with help, deal with it.      Nearly80.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance