Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Disclosing MH in the workplace????

I had the experience where I disclosed my mental health condition in the workplace. I felt that my manager had his own issues going on at the time and this lead to me being performance managed. I eventually got transferred to another less demanding role but they only extended my contract for 6 months at a time and the insecurity of employment created unnecessary anxiety for me. I ended up leaving the organisation. On the flip side I knew a employee with a diagnosis of Bipolar which she disclosed to the employer. She had a long history of employment with the organisation and was quite competent in her role. She seemed to be respected by her peers and she did not seem to have any issues. However, she had a permanent role. I find it difficult these days with insecure employment as I believe i do a good job in my profession but the insecurity feeds into the mental health challenges i experience and creates unnecessary anxiety. Any way good luck and hopefully my experience helps you remain in employment as it is a good thing to have a job.

Thanks for your replies, really helpful @happydays123 @Rhye @Daisydreamer . I've worked over 10 years without ever disclosing my issues as I don't feel it helps. One time they asked me whether I had mental health issues and I said yes, the result was me being fired after 1.5 years traveling 2 hrs each way for a standard 37.5 hr week. But hearing positives stories here, has given me a lot to think about and by t he sound of things we've come a long way, I believe I have to prove myself and get respect first in the job I do before I will think about disclosing 

@Daisydreamer Just finished reading that, some good strategies, will keep it in mind - thanks for the link

@happydays123 @MDT @greenpea @Daisydreamer @Rhye @Dimity @TAB i've decided to disclose my MH issues to the workplace before my trial period ends. And give a spiel about why they should choose me and what value I could bring to the team. I've gotten to know the 3 key people I'll be working with mainly and they seem like good people. My previous place I started off through an agency and my previous boss bought me out which I can tell to show ican do complex work. Will keep you guys posted of the outcome. Thanks for your support in these trying times 

Hope it turns out okay for you @Former-Member 

I hate to be negative but every time I have declared my mental health status to the workplace it has not worked in my favour. In one workplace I was actively bullied to the point where we had to settle out of court. Now I keep it a secret. So much so that when I was last in hospital I pretended I was working from home. They were none the wiser and there was  no trouble. I wish I could say go for it and everyone will be accommodating but in good conscience I can't. Sorry.

@Former-Member  Good luck. Personally I think  you are doing the right thing. 🙂 x

I'm 100% sure that I lost my job in July because of my mental health. I took three days off and then told I'm sacked as I wasn't reliable.  They knew I suffered from depression and anxiety. Only there for 6 weeks. Devastated. 
@Former-Member 

too scared now to say anything to anyone about my mental health. 

You're very courageous @Former-Member and I do hope it works out for you. Finding a compatible team and amenable workplace sometimes involves a leap of faith - trusting that the risk pays off. If you've found your colleagues friendly  open minded and supportive thus far go for it - but if in doubt go with your instincts. There's no compulsion to make a big announcement before the end of your trial period, it may emerge naturally over time. I notified  my interview panel re my MH and vision impairment in my last job but in previous positions I'd let it come up in conversation.

Best wishes 

Dimity

@Stavrogin Did you win the court settlement? I've been to the point where I've wanted to go to court - but was advised against it. Tbh idc about the outcome, I would prefer to work though and not rely on Centrelink since I have over 10 years of not disclosing 

@greenpea what if it's the wrong decision though, try again?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance