Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: A long rave

Hey @MDT @TAB @Maggie   hope your days are going well so far.  What do you each have on today?

@TAB  it wasn't a live reading performance this time, just sharing my story with my writing group (6 of us as opposed to an audience of 30-50 peers).  At the end nearly all of them just said "Wow" ... which I took as a good sign.  No-one gave any critique at all.  

Just court @eth

Boring as usual lol. But it's a job and I get paid.

So I'm guessing 'just court' means that's where you work @MDT .  Many moons ago I was a legal secretary and contemplated being a court stenographer.  Don't know if they even exist any more what with all the technology available.

Hi and thanks for the tag @greenpea  and welcome to the forums @DessertPea  and @Billy_   This thread is largely social these days but also completely ok to post as long a rave as you want about what's going on for you these days.  We're a friendly and supportive bunch here.  You might get to meet new people and even find some with common experiences to you.

Okay writers groups, book clubs etc are foreign to me @eth , just wondering though, are all stories meant to be read aloud? just wondered or does that affect how they are written ?

Not up to much today, nothing pressing, its cold atm which is odd. Think am using weather as an excuse not to do things .. too ok too cold     Smiley Happy ok might confront lawn with mower today

Image result for beagle boys paul bunyan machine

might borrow the Beagle Boys Paul Bunyan Machine for the lawn lol. So glad I found this pic, I used to have the comic. Its the one where Uncle Scrooge hides all his money inside trees. The Beagle Boys get wind of it and build a huge machine to chop trees down and harvest the money lol Cat Happy     

@eth  I think WOW was a very good sign that it went well, maybe better. No critique might have been a double WOW. All round, sounding like you did well indeed. 👍👍👍👍

Just a walk with dogs planned so far. But things have a way of getting added. Not too bad though.

@TAB @MDT @Adge 👋👋👋👋👋

@TAB   Lol!  But these days those machines are real Smiley Sad

Whether stories are meant to be read aloud I guess depends on the author's intentions.  Personally it doesn't change how I write a story at all, but can change how I write a poem (rhythm, rhyme etc).  Some poems are written for the layout on the page and some are written to sound better, and some for both. x

@Maggie  thanks for your comments re the response to my story.  Enjoy your doggie walk x

Hi @Maggie  yeah might go for a walk later just had soothing bath so will let that soak in for a while, well while watching silly cartoons lol

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/all-hail-king-julien

Cat Happy

I do remember visualising while being read a story from big Grimms book  by cigarette smoking teacher in primary school  and much much later while reading Gost on a Rail in penguin aust short stories , I could see what was being described. Guess that's an ideal and depends on state of mind when reading etc. I think I meant performance affecting wrting and vice versa maybe @eth 

yes those machines are real these days @eth I did look for old comics on internet ok 20 years ago, but might have more luck these days. Well, once they were only 150 listings with my surname in German phone book, now there are '000s and a few with same name, haha dont feel quite so special anymore lol

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance