Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

StuF
Senior Contributor

Greetings

I don't think I've done this yet?

Anyway, a brief introduction. I live with schizoaffective disorder. That is my current diagnosis. I am well treated overall at this stage and lucky to live in a safe environment.

I first suffered depression at 16 or so.Since then, I've gone through anxiety, social phobia, addiction, bipolar, psychosis and...now some combination of all that which has the schizoaffective label.

I was attracted to the forums so I could interact with other people with lived experience. I'd like to think that one day I will reach a point where I can offer more support than an eye and a keyboard. But we'll see how I go with that!

3 random facts?

1) I seem to have beaten my lymphoma. Last treated with an autologous stem cell transplant in 2003. So yeah, the woods Are a fair way behind me, but I need to keep seeing my haematologist

2) I collect music- up to about 950 CD's now

3) I write poetry

I think that will do for now! 🙂

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Greetings

Hi @StuF nice too meet you and welcome to the forums! You will find it a safe and supportive place to hang out. There are a lot of wonderful people here with a tonne of lived experienced so you'll fit right in! Congrats on beating your lymphoma that is an amazing feat! I'm so excited to see another poet here too! I will tag you in a couple of discussions you may be interested in. I hope to see you posting some of your poetry too. Have a wonderful weekend and welcome again! xx

BB 🐰💙

StuF
Senior Contributor

Hi @bipolarbunny 
Thanks for the welcome!

In my limited time here, it Does seem like a good space 🙂

I felt a bit silly bringing up the lymphoma- so long since I've had major treatment- but it still has an impact on my mental health, especially when I get sick...like, "OMG, is it back?!" But anyway, it fit the criteria for a random fact, too 🙂

I'll certainly check those thread out, thanks. Bit wary of posting poems, as I post them facebok also, so don't want to reveal my identity...but if I can think of a way, I'll share

Edit: having said that, it's probably just paranoia to think that people might be able to link the two!

Hi there @StuF and welcome to the forums! Nice to meet you. I'm a Community Guide here and part of my job is to show people around the forums. It's great that you've listed 3 things about you. I have schizophrenia as one of my diagnosis along with depression and Borderline Personality Disorder. For a while, the medicos thought I had bipolar spectrum disorder as well as schizoaffective disorder until finally coming down to what I've got now. Is there any specific times when your schizoaffective disorder is worse than other times? For me, stress brings my schizophrenic symptoms up than at other times when I'm calm and happy. I also like music and used to collect CDs but don't anymore thanks to digital streaming services. What types of music are you into? As for writing  poetry, that's a special talent to have and I admire you for that. Well done on having a special talent with words! There's an area of the forums called Re: writing as a form of therapy that you might want to explore and meet others whom enjoy writing. I'll tag the great poet of the forums @bipolarbunny  who posts some of their poetry there so you can have a look. 

Just a tip on the forums. Use the @ function to tag people or key words like I have as that will lead to other forum members or topics on the forums. 

See you around!

Judi9877

Hi @StuF welcome!

There's always people on here to listen and understand.

Make yourself at home. It's a place to be yourself and to be accepted.

Hi @Judi9877 @bipolarbunny good to see you too.

Hiya @frog hope you are well my friend! xx

Hey @Judi9877 hope you are feeling better my friend! xx

@StuF I have most of my poetry on another blog too. Just post here with a different pseudonym as long as you don't link back to or have any identifying features in your writing you should be fine.  

I struggle a bit with paranoia too, but I feel completely safe posting on here. Just do what makes you feel comfortable. Take care and welcome again. xx

BB 🐰💙

StuF
Senior Contributor

@Judi9877 

Hi, and thanks for the welcome! I guess most of us have had a diagnostic journey to here. I guess labels shift around and we change over time, too

Stress and anxiety are my biggest problem with the schizoaffective. If I live a relatively quiet life, I'm pretty well. The biggest impact in that regard is work. I just can't cope with multiple stressors/tasks. Which is a bit limiting, but it is what it is now

As for music, all types. I'm avoiding streaming for two reasons- quality and, probably more importantly, I cannot cope with That amount of music! I already have more than enough! lol

I'll definitely spend some time in the writing thread 🙂

StuF
Senior Contributor

@frog 

Thanks!

You lot are certainly welcoming mob 🙂

Hey @StuF 

I loved your phrase about streaming music ... lol

Quality was my choice too, making the most of those things we can control and accepting the things we cannot control, long before it became a meme. I mostly go for live ... heard a huge amount and wide range of utterly fabulous music ...which is my good luck.

Smiley Happy

StuF
Senior Contributor

@bipolarbunny 

I think you are correct in your judgement re posting poetry here and on facebook. Obviously here I'm not using my name! 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance