Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What it's really like to live with schizophrenia // Tues 22 May, 7pm AEDT

My daughter told professionals she was hearing voices through an ear piece

Re: Topic Tuesday // What it's really like to live with schizophrenia // Tues 22 May, 7pm AEDT

@mrsboots click on the reply button and tag @Sandy1  there is a rectangle box for the question. then post.

Hi @mrsboots,

Tonight's Topic Tuesday in our carer's forum is a live discussion between peers and we also have @Sandy1 with us sharing her own experiences for some insight. You can get involved by joining in on our current discussion point - we are looking at coping strategies right now. 

If you are looking for some more one on one support you can also call our helpline Smiley Happy

@Shaz51

it's important to keep your hope alive and maybe seeking support outside might help. there used to be carers groups but i don't know if they exist anymore. but by being engaged in things like this forum you might get tips and encouragement. but you have to look after yourself. sorry if that sounds like a platitude.but it is important.

@Sandy1 Sandy1 my delusions also happen physically where the voice will attack my body. Has that ever happened to you?

What do you mean physically attack your body, if I may ask?

@greenpea

yes, it has happened and it was awful.

@Sandy  Does a person suffering delusions really believe what they think they might have done ?

@Sandy1 Thanks Sandy1 because when that has happened to me I thought I really was losing my mind....

Hey everyone we are moving onto the next discussion point.

Loss of identity and hope

On diagnosis the first casualty was my identity. I lost all sense of who I was. It was awful. I didn’t have a job and my life was on the scrapheap. What to say when I was asked the most challenging of questions: hello, what do you do? I hated that question because I had no answer other than my diagnostic label. That defined me and it was so negative. I had no hope, purpose or meaning in my life. I found hope and meaning in my poetry and writing. I developed a sense of self based on that.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance