Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What it's really like to live with schizophrenia // Tues 22 May, 7pm AEDT

Community is precious.

Re: Topic Tuesday // What it's really like to live with schizophrenia // Tues 22 May, 7pm AEDT

@greenpea

nothing is simply when it comes to mental illness. it can be a long haul to get to a point when people are able to accept they might be unwell. it took me awhile to come to terms with what had happened. it was tore me apart.

@Sandy1 How do you deal with neurotypicals? do you find it hard? I struggle and I know my son does.

@Sandy1 my daughter hasnt yet accepted her illness (has only been 2 months) it must be so confusing to work out what has happened

@Lauz

it took me an eterntiy to find myself. for may years i was a shy, downcast person who deferred to all my friends and their opinions as i had none myself. i was withdrawn and socially inept. it was torture to go out to parties and have people ask me the question hello what do you do? this went right to the heart of my loss of identity. i had no answer to that question. How did I find an identity? it was through poetry and having a book of poems published. i was given an identity i was happy with: poet. it made all the difference. but being a poet didn't cure me of my schizophrenia but it made the world more bearable.

@Sandy1@Lauz@Shaz51 and everyone sorry I have to go. Thanks again Sandy1 🙂

@greenpea

i bluster on and try to hold my own truth in a world that always tries to challenge it. but we have stay strong and keep doping what works for you. I believe in whatever gets you through the night...

@Mumstheword

it can take a long time for acceptance to happen.

just continuing on with the topic of the self....

dealing with stigma/finding a sense of a strong self

Finding a sense of self through doing things that give you meaning and hope are important. Whatever you can find whether it be something creative or practical or validating for you, do it. I know it’s hard to find yourself when things are not going well and seem to be falling apart. Let your friends and family help you. Resist any negative impulse to push them away. Find pride in how you have survived something major and never let someone shame you because of who you are or what you have endured.

This is really inspiring @Sandy1 - as a carer for a loved one that is going through the experiences of schizophrenia, it sounds like a big part of it is to support them while they are learning about their illness and encouraging and validating what they are experiencing. 

You have mentioned some really great coping strategies both for someone dealing with voices or delusions as well as a carer trying to support their loved one through this. 

Your wisdom around finding pride in your journey and to let friends and family in is so valuable. Did you find it hard to let people in?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance