Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday Tonight starting at 7pm AEST - BPD: Debunking the myths

BPD has such judgement around it and it is so wrong that certain diagnoses get treated with disrespect..

@Jacques and @Shadow

Sorry folks we're having some technical issues. I'm working with @BlueButterfly50 on them now. She'll respond as soon as she can. But also feel free to chat amongst yourselves while we try and resolve things.

Yes it does, there is so much stigma around BPD which is because mental health professionals are not up to date with current research that states BPD is recoverable and treatable.  They are stuck in the days when it was seen as untreatable.  There are however quite a few BPD friendly practitioners.

So agree with you Sandy...It is to the point I don't tell anyone...

Got my laptop working! Booyah!!

@BlueButterfly50 thanks for coming on here and chatting to us. 🙂
I was sent to a psychiatrist in Feb after going to my GP and finally admitting I daily think of suicide...

The psychiatrist diagnosed me with BPD and SA.

I had never really heard of BPD, and Google wasn't very helpful... I kept seeing mention of BPD separated into two different types: Quiet (or high-functioning) and Loud (or low-functioning).

Is this even a thing?? 

I haven't heard it described like that low and high functioning that's something I'd like to find out about

I briefly read about Sonia Neale's overseas research and I really do hope that things can start changing here in Australia. So many of my friends continue to suffer with bpd and the stigma and I could just imagine the hope they would get from even just a support group to accompany their DBT program. They feel so alone and like nobody cares. The professionals, not all, contribute to that feeling of being alone. A better understanding and training would benefit so many and I hope Australia really puts a lot of effort in to new programs and education!

@Jacques

Hi, Yes BPD is a disorder of emotional regulation, and this is what makes our life very difficult,  The highs that you are talking about I believe could belong more to bipolar disorder.  BPD doesn't have the highs as part of the criteria.  Dialectical Behaviour Therapy is great for addressing emotional dysregulation if you can get onto that programme.  Sometimes sitting still in those highs and lows and naming the emotion can help.  When you name the emotion it can take the fear out of the feeling.  Identifying and naming emotions takes tiime and practice.

The DBT program that I am in completely discourages any kind of friendship...so really you are still alone

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance