Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Healthy Minds Webcast Series // Healing Trauma // Tues 20 Sep 7pm AEST

Thanks @NikNik

I will have a listen to it later.

Hello to all Moderators and behind the scenes people at SANE.
I just watched the healing Trauma link & I thought it was brilliant. Not only to have experts on, but those who have experienced trauma and have recovered and are living better lives now.
It was inspirational to me & I hope others will find it inspirational too.
I also liked how early on they discussed the difference in trauma - which I think is so important to understand - so that the right treatment can be offered. As they say - one size does not fit all.
Again - thanks for putting up the link so that we can all watch it.

Hello @Love2Read, @Former-Member, @BlueBay, @Bettie and @Gypzi  Apologies for taking a few days to get back here.  Never a dull moment in the SANE Help Centre!

Picking up on some of the questions raised in this thread:

Chris referred to a nutritional/supplement approach that you can learn more about herewww.biobalance.org.au.

Here is a blurb from the site: Bio-Balance Health's primary aim is to make available in Australia information on the use of a comprehensive biochemical assessment and advanced complementary nutritional treatment of a range of disorders such as behavioural disorders, ADD, ADHD, learning disorders and Autism as well as mental disorders such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and depression.

Bio-Balance Health supports on a not for profit basis the training of doctors in Australia.

The additional counselling funding that Chris referred to is through the Victim Services and Support agency that part of the NSW Justice Dept.  Here is a link to the page where you can find the application form and list of approved trauma-informed therapists.  My understanding is that you can keep applying for additional funding/sessions depending on your needs. 

There is an equivalent service in each state (also through Dept Justice in Vic) but I'm not sure about there exact provision of support.  You can call us at the SANE Help Centre on 1800 18 7263 (mon-fr 9-5) and we'll find you the contact details for your own state.

In terms of online trauma informed care training, I found a few courses through this webpage.  This course is connected with van der Kolk (The Body Knows the Score) and might be interesting.   This course which is aimed at people working with children so it may not meet your need.  Looks like they exist but from overseas providers.  I hope this helps @Gypzi.

I think I've covered the questions so far.  If not, let me know and I'll get back to you.

Thank you for the Trauma courses information @suzanne. The van der Kolk one looks fantastic, way better than anything I've seen to date, all except for the $4000 price tag! I wish I had that spare to start the course in October.  So I'll have a good look through the other ones and glean what I can from them, and keep looking for something local too.

Thank you for hunting them down, your commitment to this forum is really appreciated.

Gypzi 😃

Yikes sorry @Gypzi I hadn't realised about the cost.  It's a shame that an online course comes with that price tag.  This format should be more accessible.  I'd be really interested if you find something.  The other place worth checking out is the Pheonix - Centre for Post traumatic mental health.  They are a sort of peak body for this sector.  Their courses are delivered face to face but if anyone should know about online versions within Australia I would hope it's them.  This is their contact info.  Hope you find a course that's right for you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance