Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // When mental health impacts your work // CLOSED

While in a perfect world, we could keep our mental health issues under wraps in the workplace, sometimes it can impact our work life and performance.

This week we are joined by @Debstar from Ostara Australia look at what happens if a mental health condition is impacting your performance and what you can do about it. What supports are available and what strategies might be helpful.

3 things you can do now:

1. Register as a member of the Forums to participate

2. Have an idea for another Career Chat topic? Leave your thoughts here

3. Can't make the session on Friday? Leave you question or share your experiences below, which Debstar will respond to on Friday.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Career Chat // Friday 1 April, 10am AEDT // When mental health impacts your work

Hi All,

Great to be back connection with you all.

Like @NikNik said, today we are going to talk about what happens if a mental health condition is impacting your performance and what you can do about it. What supports are available and what strategies might be helpful.

It can be very tempting to  keep this personal information to yourself (which at times can be really challenging to share for a number of reasons), but you don’t have to keep it to yourself, and once you know the sorts of supports that are available, and begin to utilise them, it can help you to feel supported during these tough times.

I look forward to discussing this interesting topic with you, and hearing your thoughts.

Deb 🙂

Re: Career Chat // Friday 1 April, 10am AEDT // When mental health impacts your work

A good first place to start in getting help is to visit your local  Doctor (GP). Let him or her know that you are having a hard time at work, and talk to them about what is going on for you. Your GP will either conduct an assessment of you, or refer you to someone else, such as a psychologist or psychiatrist, and might prescribe antidepressant medication to relieve some of the symptoms.

Because mental health problems are common issues in general practice these days, many GPs are used to dealing with depression and other mental health problems. If you don't feel comfortable talking to your own GP, find another one with whom you do feel comfortable. It is important that you feel comfortable talking about how you are feeling with your GP so they have as much information to help you as possible.

I did this years ago, spoke to my GP and got put on a mental health plan (so appointments were much cheaper, and can often be free) so I could talk and work through my issues with a psychologist. It proved to be really useful, in helping me to deal with what was going on for me at the time, and helped my ability to maintain my job.  

Anyone else found speaking with a GP useful? How else would you deal with (or have you dealt with) experiencing  mental health issues in the workplace?

Hi again,

Another option is of course to make contact through the SANE forums.  Chances are others are going through similar challenges tooo, and sharing can help remind us that we are not alone.  Also it is an opportunity to hear from others and gain new and different ideas on ways to address whatever is going on for you.

You can also call Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636. They ask for a few details but you can be anonymous if you wish.  They ask a few questions and they give you some ideas to point you in the right direction.

Below I have provided a link from Black Dog Institute,  with lots of ideas and suggestions for different organisations that can provide support during these times.

http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/public/gettinghelp/helpfullinks.cfm

Who else have you used or would you recommend for support? 

Deb 🙂

I don’t believe there is a right or wrong time to tell others at work.  Some people raise their mental health conditions at the recruitment stage, others tell employers when stress becomes an issue or after they have received a diagnosis.

It can be a good idea to plan out what you are going to say with someone that you trust, who could be a family member, friend, health professional or support worker.  It can also be worth brainstorming how they may respond to assist in your preparation for the conversation.

You could speak with your manager, a colleague or an HR officer, totally up to you.

Anyone done this? What was your experience?

Another option is to go through the companies Employee Assistance Program, if they have one.  In the last two companies I have worked for they have had an EAP service, which provides up to 3 free sessions (on any issue you are dealing with) with a psychologist face to face or over the phone.  Can be a great way to talk through whatever you are going through at the time.

Come and join in the conversation and share your thoughts.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance