Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Career Chat // ASK US ANYTHING! // Friday 25 Nov. 12 pm AEDT

Re volunteering ... yes @TAB you're right, @Former-Member definitely try for something you're actually going to find challenging ... otherwise can be a let down.

Although again looks good on resume.

One thing I always remind my clients ... lived experience is very valuable these days! You couldn't volunteer at Mind, Grow, Sane etc without it!

That's if you like that sort of stuff ...

..ah.. my brains not complete mush, still capable of operating slightly above the pack, when just 'believe' it, ie yeah ok am 'doughy'  yes, never pushed my 'barrow' that hard re jobs ..but used to tell self 20years ago wanted to train people, so it's looking like an option now @Renstar oh, the dustin hoffman Sleepers ref was a really good movie called Sleepers

Hey @TAB are you really going to do the TAFE trainer thing?  That's outstanding! And please keep in touch, love to know how that goes... and pushing that barrow is not everyone's thing, but when you're passionate about something ... it just seems to happen ...

In my experience/opinion anyway.

Yeah I've heard of Sleepers (being an excellent movie ... Kevin Bacon?Am totally resisting asking dr google trying to make my brain remember ...) but nah haven't seen it...

Yes @Renstar re Tafe. Yes re Kevin Bacon and brilliant movie .. haven;t seen it in years  ..and yeah ..the 'barrow' can get a momentum of it's own ..I forget persistence and hoops jumped through to get really well paid good jobs in past ..by the time I got the last 'good' one, well 2 years ago .. I knew I wasn't going to be there long ..and wasn't .. still .. $15000 in the hand every month plus holidays sick leave, pay out, only lasted 2 mths but lived off that for a while. Supervisor was an absolute **** made it his business to ride me, even admitted it at the end.. never met such a complete piece of work as that ..I made a point of going into work and telling him to his face that I was quitting there and then. He was sacked a few months later. 

..so, I have ended up returning to an employer that sees me as halfhearted, unreliable etc, well I can be, but they want a lot, for a lot less than that, I appear and get my 550 a day before tax now , a few days every weeks and they always want someone at no notice, so there is work, but I prefer to know at least 24hrs in advance ..its all a bit ..well what it is .. @Renstar

Ah yes that juicy lived experience that's going to come in handy when you get your teeth into the trainer role... (sorry i'm not pollyanna but I do tend to reframe on this forum ... a lot!!)

Re your previous boss, I am not surprised ... so many stories just like yours. It's diabolical really.

It's now the end of today's forum @TAB and it's really been a pleasure chatting Smiley HappySmiley Happy

I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience as @Renstar forum leader (or whatever they call it!) over the last 6 months .. I've had my own ups and downs and honestly checking in every Friday has been in itself a bit of time off from 'my stuff' and has enabled me to share your stuff too and feel I'm still contributing.

I do hope the information has helped, all forums are kept on the site if you want to go back and check out some of the (long winded) research I conducted as part of each forum Smiley Wink (just thought citations and information about new trials and new studies would be interesting ... don't know why i'm so apologetic about it right now haha!)

Mainly it has been a privilege to be part of your lives for a nano second and I am very grateful for the opportunity. 

Not sure about next year .. still in decision making mode with  powers that be ...

So, take care ok. Live a little like Ekhart Tolle reckons, in the moment, we get anxious about the past and nervous about the future ... none of which we can do anything about!! That's powerful for me anyway ..

Journal the stuff you can't get out of your head, seek counselling, have pleasant experiences, replace bad experiences with new ones, don't let others tell you what you can and can't do, your mental illness needs no justification just as my missing left leg wouldn't !

Don't tell your boss about your MI if you don't want to ... but if they're progressive do tell them because they may be able to accommodate you (just like if I had a missing left leg) ...

And mainly, don't feel you're totally alone because these forums are here for you and those running them, genuinely care. 

Thanks to @NikNik, @Former-Member, @TAB, @bec, @sadgirl, @Kurra@Lochlyn, ... just some of the names I remember .. for all your contributions, without you the forum wouldn't go on!

Cheers

Renee xo

..I think its called self reflection re your 'apologies' comment .. @Renstar  and thanks. Where is your info? on this site somewhere or in this thread, only been to forums on here, can look tho @NikNik 

Hi @Renstar and @NikNik

Sorry I missed the final chat of the year. It was good to learn and hear about others experiences here.

I recently tried to get support from various organisations re. 'Job in jeopardy' unfortunately no one took in any newbies 😞 but I found a great booklet from the Australian Human Rights commission 'Workers with mental illness' - very comprehensive and heaps of ideas for particular problems at the work place. So I'll try to implement some of that with my manager. I really want to be able to continue in the work force.

Take care x
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance