Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Kind words give you hope... but sometimes, it's false hope.

I can't remember if I have shared this before, but I don't think so.

I remember something my best friend at the time said to me.

I said that I wanted to be there for the girl I loved, even if she didn't feel the same way. I talked about how I wanted to keep visiting her, and maybe become closer friends. It felt good to give. She said:

If you want to be there for her, I can't control that... but I am dumbfounded as to why you would want to. She doesn't appreciate it, she doesn't care.

There are so many people out there that would absolutely adore you, so please don't waste your time on people who won't put in the same effort you do.

That's probably the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me... but people say things they don't mean. Even if she meant it, I proved her wrong. Nothing's going to take that away.

I know when Mother Teresa said "kind words are short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless", she probably didn't mean it like that...

I'm just a burden. I put a depressing spin on Mother Teresa for [...] sake 💔.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Kind words give you hope... but sometimes, it's false hope.

Hi @Former-Member ,

If you work in the community sector, you would have met many who can offer much but may not be treated as well by the clients/recipients. Physical assault and verbal abuse is not uncommon. 

I am referring to those who work in the youth justice, corrections, disability, mental health facility, youth residential care, foster care, aged care, etc.

Every worker I spoke to would have tolerated this in one way or another, often at their expense. But they still care for their clients and would continue to working till they retire. They would usually just brush off incidents, covering up most injuries and opt for work cover and EAP as last resort.

I admire people who can go very far for another without expecting much in return. They are the ones who have a true heart. Heart

Mother Theresa was actually quite fierce and harsh in words, but it's not easy dealing with large number of kids with behavioural issues. She probably adopted that personality to suit her role. 

In Australia, they took a very soft approach towards dealing with similar kids, sometimes to the point when the kids would be wielding sharp tool and expecting workers to be there and be able to deal with them. However due to WHS policy, the workers have to lock themselves in a room during such emergency, and the kids would then complain why the workers could not be there and soothe them when they need them most.

Back to your post, if I were you, I would have continued with such caring virtue and spread it to everyone around you. One day, you'll realise there are many who can offer you the same in return. Kind words have to be followed by kind actions, that's sincerity, a true value. Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance