Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

LostAngel
Senior Contributor

Hibernation Mode turned Survival mode

hi everyone yesterday seemed very positive to begin with ,I had a good day for most of the day and was being as positive as I could be smiling at strangers at the shops and petrol station and for the day it finally felt like I was getting some things done,doing errands,geting out of the house ,appointment went well in terms of centrelink obligations,I had a message and a call from a recruitment agency which could lead to me gaining a Job and the weather was helping my mood yesterday as the weather was sunny ,after that I visited some family an aunt of mine she always listens and understands my emotional/mental health issuesHeart but then a family member whom Im estranged with for a year now he showed up at aunts place and it was hard because he just does what he always does when he sees me he ignores me,keeps his back turned to me doesnt go near me mind you another family member was keeping him company and I was with my supportive aunt thank goodness and thank goodness she doesnt take sides I just wish the estranged family member would change their behaviuor in  positive way cause I can see its caused a huge amount of stress for the rest of the family his behaviour I wish he would just talk to me though I wish we could talk things out lets just say without going into past details it was a big falling out thet happend and in my eyes it happend as a result of his bad behaviour towards another family member whom I was supporting because of the resulting issues that happend after the incident,the incident was family violence but that was over a year ago anyway I felt closed off yesterday when he showed up and honestly I dont know what to do to repair things with him emotionally,and should I even be the one to fix things when he was at fault for physically harming a family member whom I care about honestly families are hard sometimes,some old wounds where opened yesterday emotionally leaving me thinking I dont know what to do about any of it and what has my family come to in terms of all the issues everyones been through since then or as a result of what happend then.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Hibernation Mode turned Survival mode

Im trying so hard to heal myself at the momment but how can help emotionally heal the rest of my family

so many things I just have to work through alone and in a way I prefer working through my struggles aloneSmiley Indifferent

Hi @LostAngel, sending lots of support to you, that sounds like it would have been really unpleasant, particularly the opening up of old wounds. And probably unexpected too, so it sounds like you could not have prepared for this, which can make it especially confronting Heart

I'm glad there we still good parts to yesterday, and it sounds like you have amazingly supportive aunt. People like her can really help us get through situations like this, so I'm glad she could provide some safety and comfort for you in an otherwise unpleasant situation. 

It's a great testament to your character that you care so much about your family that you want to help them to heal. A gentle prompt to consider, though, that the responsibility to do that isn't all on you. I do relate, though- I find it very easy to feel like I need to make everything better. It's very burdening, though, and not realistic- the responsibility is ultimately everyone's. Be gentle with yourself, and take care 💗

mmm thats true its everyones responsibility ,thank you for your support ,one thing I need is a good night sleep or lately alot of sleep,its easy to let family problems get me down at times,Im ordering pizza for dinner tonight and mayybe some netflix as at times my phone messages have been annoying,thats not to say that everythings terrible but as you understand family issues can be burden Smiley IndifferentHeart

ok to continue in terms of self healing I need some patience and now material things are needing fixing again my car engine mounts have gone so I am trying to get a mechanic but couldnt get through on the phone this afternoon but then again Ive had my own way alot lately in being able to go out places,I just need patience in a few areas emotionally and physical now,Im trying to keep a positive mindset,powering through,listening to music and now Im watching Terminater movies to have a distraction from thoughts and worries in my mind,I did call a family member yesterday and was feeling down on the phone or basically at a loss over the estranged family member situation but at the same time I didnt want to burden the family member on the phone with my worries I just simply said theres a few worries that I would I think I should keep to myself,they said yes you should keep things to yourself if your able to handle it but if its mentally starting to get to you you can talk to people and they said take care it seemed out of concern for my wellbeing,I geuss Im very much of the mindset lately of trying to heal myself emotionally,look after myself because I think its the best way for me to heal and acknowledge and learn things on my own about a few different things the family worries and then of course my personal life worries in terms of relationships but that info I really want to keep to myself cause it is so personal,I mean in saying that my personal private dating relationship has been helping me in fact the other night it was the online date who made me laugh and feel happy but then again I feel Im waying him down a bit emotionally with some of my behaviour that I think has come from other past people Ive dated strange how somehow all the different relationships you have wether its family or personal are all somehow linked and of course very much linked to your emotional self 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance