Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

M_P90
Senior Contributor

Four Corners episode on Tik Tok

Hi Everybody, 

I am going to be talking about an episode of Four Corners that aired tonight. The episode was all about the risks of the TikTok app. Please do not take this as an endorsement to go watch the program, as it could be very triggering - especially for those with eating disorders. 

So, TikTok has some kind of technology where it can gleen intimate details about you via facial recognition and biometric feedback. Apparently this includes metrics around the likelihood that you have a mental health issue. That can then lead to the algorithims curating content for you that is made by other people with mental health issues. As we know, sometimes we encourage and lift each other up, and other times we unintentionally can bring each other down. Some of the stories featured on Four Corners were harrowing in terms of the mental health impacts on people. 

For myself personally, I have had TikTok myself for maybe 6 months. Looking back, I can definitely say at times when I was depressed, the content was overwhelmingly "dark humour", sometimes around themes of suicide. I can handle that stuff for the most part as I've lived with my mental health issues for years and am actively and proactively in recovery. I've grown up on the internet for the most part, I've been exposed to lots of bad stuff. But, it kind of makes me feel sick to think that this technology was created to show me dark content when I'm at my lowest so that I keep scrolling... It's one thing to accidentally come across something triggering, it's another for a company to try to create that experience over and over again! I feel goose bumps and a sick feeling in my stomach thinking about it. 

I guess, I wanted to share this here as a discussion point, but also to give you a heads up if you do use TikTok.

take care!. 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Four Corners episode on Tik Tok

Thanks for this, @M_P90 ! 😮 I don't use Tik Tok but am still horrified. I would think the last thing a person needs when severely depressed would be content about suicide 😞

Thanks for this post I learnt from this, really.

Really good post. Thankyou @M_P90 

Well Done

thanks @M_P90 

don't use TikTok but will watch 4 corners now

Hello @M_P90 

Thank you for writing about your experience in regard to yet another social platform that can create significant impact on mental health.

I am wondering if you would be able  to ring Sane and speak about this as part of the Stigma reporting.

There will be so many who will not read this post and those very vulnerable people can be seriously  affected.

I do not have a clue what Tik Tok is and have no intention of finding out.

I am a person who  would be affected by such a program.

I am highly sensitive and very deep. This I am aware  of and take care that I do not watch  or listen to anything that might trigger me or cause harm.

Please also continue to look after yourself and thank you for raising this so that those who do read this post are aware.

I hope that Sane will put something in place on the website to alert everyone.

Sophia

Hi @Sophia1, it sounds like you might be referring to StigmaWatch? If so, you and anyone else interested can find more on that here. I hope that helps. 

I realise too that this might have brought up some uncomfortable feelings for some and I'd like to encourage anyone who may've been affected by this to reach out for extra support if needed and please take good care. 

All the very best, 

TideisTurning 💐

Hello  @TideisTurning 

Thank you yes that is what I was referring to.

I have not seen the programme and was wondering if someone from Sane could follow up as has been raised.

I am not well enough to do so as having many issues in private life even with understanding funding changes and cuts within support works.

If someone else can follow up would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Thanks for the warning. Not a big fan of bio-metrics.

I will say I have been actively using my media outlet algorithms as a sort of digital mirror. I'm consious of what I click but I also find myself being informed by what comes up. It's a reflection both of my input the marketplace of ideas. I'd even say I sometimes use it as a diagnostic tool of sorts because it's amazing what the algoriths pick up on, and that reflection is more useful to me than it is to them.

Maybe that's the only way to engage with media these days. Know yourself to know the world and vice versa.

@M_P90  It seems every week or so now, I'm becoming more and more horrified by what is lurking in the shadows of our technological advancement. What they know about us, what they can deduce out about us, and the shockingly effective ways they can covertly manipulate us is truly horrifying.

I remember, while I was reading the Productivity Commision Inquiry Into The Mental Health System report, I encountered a line that stated that more suicides could be prevented if Australia placed a higher priority upon preserving peoples' lives then it places upon preserving their privacy. It sent chills down my spine.

Thank you for raising this topic. Technology really scares me as I feel our kids have relinquished their free play ,creativity and imagination to screens and monitors.
I really don't understand how it works but it worries as my daughter who is clinically diagnosed with depression and anxiety and intrusive thoughts spends a lot of time on Tik Tok, Insta and snapchat.

I was wondering if anyone know is there an option with setting to adjust so to block such reading or content? Not sure if that makes sense but I am technologically challenge.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance