Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Ask us anything about Peer Support Work

@ButterflyBeauty I just wanted to know if this course is appropriate as some did call me out today about this course, it seems to be different than the one you mention in mhcc link.

This institute from Melbourne where I live, will this certificate be appropriate??

They talked to me about an hour or so, were able answer all my questions about the course and work placement.

@ButterflyBeauty If you can look at this course if its appropriate for me would be much appreciated.

https://www.haderinstitute.edu.au/course/certificate-iv-in-mental-health 

Hi @Talzy_T,

Great question! So the Cert IV in Mental Health, and the Cert IV in Mental Health Peer Work are two very different certificates 🙂

I have done the Cert IV in Mental Health Peer Work, and it was an incredibly supportive environment.

At the moment, the only current nationally recognised qualification for Peer Support Work is the Cert IV in Mental Health Peer Work 🙂

Hope this helps!

@Daisydreamer So doing this Cert IV in Mental Health Peer Work even when I reside in Melbourne would be the right course in MHCC. As this course is based Sydney, I can do this course entirely online right??

I was also trying to find out what are the fees for this course? as its hard to navigate on the website??

Hi @Talzy_T,

MHCC are one provider, but there are a lot of other providers of the Cert IV in Mental Health Peer Work too 🙂 Many TAFEs and registered training organisations (RTOs) also deliver the CertIVMHPW 🙂

Hopefully you can find one close to you!

Fees will depend on the training organisation you apply for, whether you also apply for a scholarship, and whether you are eligible for a discount. There are also opportunities under the smart and skilled funding stream to enter into traineeships with the CertIV Mental Health Peer Work which brings the cost down too: https://smartandskilled.nsw.gov.au/sands/find-a-course?context=course&searchQuery=Cert+IV+Mental+hea...

Lived Experience Australia, and Public Health occasionally offer scholarships too which can be a good pathway 🙂

Hi All,

I hope anyone who works in Peer Support Work is able to answer this but in this type of work are there any consumers who abuse you verbally, physically or absolutely get triggered and have a outburst? is these the kind of situations I will face in the role?

I know I've been in many mental wards and I've seen the environment there and it is very scary at times can hard to deal with people who dont want to talk, verbally abuse you and absolutely not in the right mind to communicate properly?

I've actually signed up to a course in Swinburne University of Technology for the course of Certificate IV in Mental Health Peer Work. It starts on May and will see if I get into the university and receive a offer letter.

@Daisydreamer About the Cert IV in Mental Health Peer Work course what kind of assessments are there? Like will I have to do exams, essays, reports like I had to do in my degree which was such a struggle for me.

I hope these units in the course is easier to pass the class and not hard to pass like in degrees or diplomas??

@Talzy_T wrote:

Hi All,

I hope anyone who works in Peer Support Work is able to answer this but in this type of work are there any consumers who abuse you verbally, physically or absolutely get triggered and have a outburst? is these the kind of situations I will face in the role?

I know I've been in many mental wards and I've seen the environment there and it is very scary at times can hard to deal with people who dont want to talk, verbally abuse you and absolutely not in the right mind to communicate properly?

One of my former peer workers once told me a story where he was trying to talk to a group of inpatients about recovery, and they weren't really engaging.  One of them had a packet of dried crickets, like, edible dried insects, and they told him that today was National Eat a Bug Day.  They said they'd listen to him about recovery if he ate one of their crickets.  So... what did he do? 🐛

Most of the group chats in the inpatient ward are optional, so in theory, the ones who attend shouldn't be the ones who are likely to go off at you.  In other situations where I've been a servant-leader, dealing with frustrated people, if someone's going off at you, it's usually more about them and what they're facing than it is about you.  If I were in this situation, I would tend to listen to the person, restate the issue back to them so that I'm sure I've understood it, and ask them what they want done about the issue, and then see if I can do anything about it or not.  I'm sure @Daisydreamer , @Rhye@hanami or one of the other peer workers can speak to your question better, though.  

Evening @Talzy_T,

I can only speak to the roles I've worked in, and these have been online peer support roles. Given they haven't been face to face, I've not experienced any aggressive interactions in the way you've mentioned. I have needed to step in and reaffirm the community guidelines in a forum setting, but usually most people understand and don't take it to heart. There are a handful who have been upset, but I can say that none have directed their feelings towards me personally, if that makes sense.

So there is always the option of working in an online, anonymous space as a peer worker @Talzy_T, and I would ensure that any organisation I was employed with offered regular debriefing sessions and/or access to EAP if/when required.

Hi @Talzy_T 

From my experience working in acute inpatient settings, community and online settings as a peer worker, the fact I was peer and able to connect with others on that level actually helped to build really supportive and empathetic relationships. I won't speak for others, but my experience has been positive. Our presence also breaks down a lot of stigma and helped bridge understandings for clinicians as well, and ensure that the person's wants, goals and wishes for their recovery were front and centre 🙂 

Not sure if that answers your question, but hopefully it helps 🙂 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance