Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Bobby2015
Contributor

dbt therapy

I got offered a spot in dbt course, l am extremely grateful for this oppurtunity. I start in 2 days but am absolutly petrified.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: dbt therapy

Hi @Bobby2015

Don't be scared.  You will be fine.

I did this therapy last year.  One on one with a therapist and group therapy weekly.  It is intense at times but my therapist was fantastic.  

Once you're there and meet the other people you will be fine and it won't seem too intimidating.

Let us know how you go.  Good luck.

Hi @Bobby2015, I second what @BlueBay has said.  It's a huge commitment and scary to step so far out of your comfort zone but I've heard so many great things from people who have completed this treatment.  They tend to emerge with lots of new skills and strategies and more confidence in themselves and for their future.  

I'd love to hear how it goes for you. Please drop back in to update us Smiley Happy

I will Suzanne, thank you

Hi @Bobby2015

You're not alone 🙂 There are a fair few people here who have discussed DBT. 

@Cherpieus is one person who comes to mind who has been through DBT. @shanc mentioned they were going to try it (Shanc - correct me if I'm wrong 🙂 )

Any other members tried DBT?

Hi @NikNik @Bobby2015

I did the DBT program with a private clinic last year.  It was a very small group only 3-4 and no more than 6 at any one time.  I was doing weekly therapy with a therapist and then group the following week for 2 hours.

It was intense and at times confusing but the therapist I had was amazing,  she explained things so many times until I understood it. 

I did the course for the year and I have learnt a bit.  I still need to practice more and remember to use the skills when needed.

I would take the offer, it will be good for you. 

It was costly for me but I am glad I have done it.  I am now not seeing the DBT thrapist as she has left the clinic.  So i decided to continue seeing my regular therapist (who I've seen for 5 yrs) and we will still work through DBT at times. 

Good luck, let us know how you go. 

Hi Sadgirl, l did my first week at the clinic and it was fantastic, l think lm going to enjoy it

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance