Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: SPRING-Clean Declutter - Need Help

IMG_20170316_024312.png

Hi everyone, I'm overwhelmed by these wonderful replies to my callout. Thank you. I want to reply individually but just don't have itvin me to concentrate tonight. But know I appreciate it. I do 👍🌟🌷🌿 

Really emotional, teary and tired tonight. Had Real Estate Agent here today, photos. I'm lucky - she's just lovely. Sold thisvplacecto me back in 2003. Maybe that's all bringing up stuff. She even offered to come one weekendcforca couple of hours to help. 

In the last 24hrs I have filled x4 big garbage bags for Charity (clothes, linen & material). And i have boxed up x4 boxes of bits (kitchen, movoes, kids books / games) so I think I'm getting a Herr. 

Boxing things I don't need anymore, or use. Good stuff is cleaned & priced for garage sale.  Yes, boxing things is separting me emotionall, and gives a sense I'm getting somewhere. I'm telling myself I'm moving - not getting rid of stuff. Textile bags are going directly to op shop. 

I can't believe I'm actually getting somewhere - better than the last couple of attempts. 

Well, need to clear off my bed, get warm. Might check your n again if I can't sleep.

Thanks again beautiful people 💜🌷🌿🐦

@Maggie@soul@Faith-and-Hope@utopia @CheerBear

Very impressive effort @Former-Member. It is a big step that you are taking but you have risen to the challenge and are doing so well. 

Wonder what your birds are thinking. Has that naughty cat and butcher bird been around lately?

Your head is probably spinning but hopefully you'll be nice and tired and get a good rest. 

I'm happy to hear of your progress. Thanks for letting us know. 

@Former-Member. Sounds like you have been flat out. Think you need to fall into bed and straight to sleep. You have achieved a lot today. Now it's time for your body and mind to rest and recover.
Am proud of you.

@Maggie - moving twice in 18mth - yikes!😨 Horrendous pretty much describes that - so you understand with recent experience. De cluttering & lightening the load sure does make sense. Still have unpacked boxes from loving here. One area at a time is my problem as I'm so easily distracted, go from one thing to another then realise what I'm surpose to be doing....

Today I focused on clearing the giant pile on one single bed - 4large garbage bags for Charity later - and its still not cleared off 😞 Found mouse poop amongst some of it - so have a pile of washing to do 😞

Hey, One of the cool things about decluttering if FINDING THINGS I've been looking for 👍🌟 Yay! Its like Christmas 🎉 Today i found my key sewing stuff - gave it a tidy and found an old box suitcase for it (not a cardboard box) and labelled it.

Have to label stuff these days as just cant remember anymore what i put in it. Forget where i put things, whats what, so, cardboard toe tags are going on all bags now.

I've made enquiries and we have a Vinnies truck that will pick up things good enough to resell. Gumtree is good but takes some organising.

Sorry you lack supports too, no help even when ya need it most. Its a huge job at my age on my own. I'm not even gonna tell my family - they don't even have positive things to say on the phone to help, let alone lift a finger. Mother would disapprove of cause. Bit I on w its time.

Thanks for encouraging me a o take breaks out in the sunshine - good tip! Hey, a king parrot came visiting today, calling out..

Yep, Thanks for listening Maggie, and for caring 💜💕🐦

Good morning @Former-Member. Sounds like you had a really big day yesterday. You are getting there already 💗

I can understand why you would have gone to bed last night feeling emotional, tired and teary. What you're going through is tough and will take it out of you.

I do wish we could all get together and be physically present to help each other through the tough stuff sometimes. I can imagine someone there helping by packing a box, someone looking in to things like collection trucks and donation points, someone with the kettle on making tea, and everyone listening and encouraging you.

Step by step, and you'll get there lapses.

Hope today is ok for you.

@Former-Member You don't have to answer individual posts, we all get it, you are flat out. The King parrot sounds great. You are doing just fine. De cluttering is the best feeling, and yes finding stuff is like getting something new. I forget what I'm in the kitchen for @Former-Member so don't worry, all part and parcel. You take care, hope you are getting some sleep.

Be proud of what you did yesterday @Former-Member and allow that to drive you to make further progress today. It would be so nice if we were physically helping you even if it was by doing some cleaning and not necessarily sorting through things as I understand that is a very personal activity.

I remember when my parents' home of 37 years was being sold and sorting through all their clutter. Filled two huge skip bins, gave a heap of stuff away. Dad had moved to aged care and Mum was off to a smaller single story home. She really liked her new place and it was much more manageable and safer for her than navigating stairs. She enjoyed a small garden and the ease of cleaning. Said it was the nicest place she had ever been in.

Any ideas about where you will go to from here? I guess when that happens depends on the real estate agent but she sounds as if she has your best interests at heart and is a lovely person. 

Thanks @utopia, I like your tip about light crockery, thinking ahead re ageing. I know. maybe just turf the lot and use disposables haha, no washing up lol
I was wondering howvyour house is? Can you attack one corner today? then tell us about it here? Easier together 🙂

Sounds like you are doing really well, @Former-Member. I don't think I can offer any advice.... I think it's a matter of getting in the right head-space and accepting that it's a big job and not easy- but manageable. 

I think it's good that you don't have a definite time-frame to work with yet. You can afford to take your time.

@Former-Member
Containerising is the best thing and was a game changer for me. Putting your sewing stuff in a case is a top idea. I use a "space" acronym when tidying our place.

Sort
P - a word not allowed in forum - get rid off
Allocate space
Containerise
Evaluate
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance