Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Psychoanalysis

Hello,

Anyone here who has done psychoanalysis?

If I understood my psych correctly that's the direction he is planning for me and a I understand it is a very lengthy process?

I guess all these changes, meds, hospital yes or no and what kind of therapy are making me slightly insecure, but at least I don't have to wait for weeks for appointments anymore.

Gosh and a part in me is absolutely terrified, but at least I have help on the horizon. I know something needs to change!
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Psychoanalysis

Hi Flower, i have had lots of counselling and i have found it helpful. i assume you are being sent to a clinical psychologist? i have tried other therapies like the tapping one, hypnotherapy and an eye movement and for me seeing a psychologist has been best. Its just like having conversation in a lounge room and everthing you talk about is confidential. i found the therapist helped me sort through my confused thoughts and feelings. Each person is different to how long you go and how much you need and a psychologist wont push you to far emotionally, i find it a safe place to air my feelings and feel understood. Good luck with your treatment plan,its good when all the therapy plans come together. Bye and take care, Step up.

Hi @Former-Member !

Sounds like everything might be coming together for you finally, which must be terrifying, but also a little relieving! 

I don't know if you have done much research into psychotherapy, but I've recently read this article/ blog about the time frame of psychotherapy. Not sure how relelvant it will be for you, but I thought it might be interesting 🙂

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/psychoanalysis-now/2014/09/how-long-should-psychotherapy-last/

All the best with the upcoming changes Flower! Would be interesting to see how you find it all.

Zahlia

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Zahlia,

Thank you for the link. At the moment I am just very very scared. I cannot explain how I feel. I know I just need to hang on until Wednesday but it seems ages away. I'm away for the weekend and should be enjoying myself and I just try to smile and hide my dark thoughts. I am so sorry to be such a disappointment to everyone around me. A little break away from home has always done me good, now I just feel numb. I am safe and will keep safe, but I am really really scared of the future.

Hi @Former-Member

What in particular are you scared about for the future? Sometimes waiting for a particular day to come can seem like forever, espically if you are dreading it or are really frightened. Maybe just take it one step at a time so it doesn't seem so overwhelming. Just got to get through tomorrow, don't think about the next two days. 

What do you think will help you manage until Wednesday? It doesn't seem like going away from home is really helping you much 😞 

Take care Flower,

Zahlia

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Zahlia,

don't really want to share this on here.

I'll get through like I have always. When things get hard i look at my suicide prevention plan.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi Flower,

I find waiting the hardest for anything new! Too much time to think about it.. what it could be like, things that could be wrong/bad etc.. I guess it's like anything else though if you find that the approach isnt for you then you could always tell your psychologist that its not helping you and switch to something else. 

The article was good from @Zahlia , thanks! one thing it didnt really say was how the therapist addresses things that come up through the free association.. would be interested to find out how that works.

Hope that it goes well for you @Former-Member

How are you coping with everything tonight? hope you're ok,

LJ

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member

Yes the article was very detailed. I just feel so worthless at the moment. I'm out with my husband and I think what do I still have to offer? I found a broken shell on the beach and kept it. The internal structure was all intact but the external has been damaged and lost.

I will sleep early tonight and I am with my husband so I will be fine. Just trying to keep a brave face up.
Former-Member
Not applicable

HI @Former-Member 

I understand that feeling of worthlessness... my psych keeps telling me that i cant always trust the feelings that come from the anxiety and low points because our brains are really good at lying to us. But fighting those feelings is just exhausting i know. 

From what you write here though, i can see that you are caring and wise. You are not worthless here. You are with your husband who (i assume) loves you and has made a choice to be with you this weekend. 

Stay strong, 

lj

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member

You make me smile - that's exactly what I tell other people and what my psych tells me - somehow I just have to knock it into my silly little head 🙂

Thank you so much for your message, I often feel so alone and isolated and I am grateful to have other people around who understand.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance