Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Melly90
New Contributor

Just one of those days

Heyy I have been struggling with anxiety for quite some time now and today I am just having one of those bad days. I called in sick to work today because I couldn't bear the thought of being around anyone and now they have not given me any shifts now for next week because I called in sick today. There such bastards they don't understand. I have also become.obsessed with food and exercise and won't stop dieting. That's all I think about constantly and it is driving me crazy.
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Just one of those days

Hi Melly, i am sorry you have had a tough time with your anxiety. perhaps you could tell your doctor whats going on and ask for a sick note? i hope you feel better soon. Bye for now. Step up

Hi @Melly90,

I am sorry to hear that you have been suffering from anxiety. I suffer from it too. It can get quite bad and in my case it has also led to me taking sick-leave and resigning from jobs. 

Can I ask what kind of things you do to help relieve your anxiety? Are you seeing a doctor or psychologist? It might be worth getting some treatment for yourself. 

I would treat your week off work as a well-deserved break and think about the things you could do to start feeling better... do you have someone you can talk to about this? 

Jobs come and go. I would not worry about this job too much. Do you atually like your work? If they punish people for taking sick-leave, then they are not good people and would you really want to work for them anyway?  There is very likely to be a job out there that is a lot better.

Hi @Melly90 !

I too am sorry to hear how things are for you at the moment 😞 It sounds like your going through some really tough stuff at the moment with your job and also the fixation on dieting and exercise. 

Like Sahara said, seeing a GP might actually be benefical as you can get a referral to a psychologist, if you haven't already. You may be able to work through both your anxiety and the dieting obsession...

I know of this happening a lot in companies where if you call in sick they don't roster you on for a while. It's a really sucky thing they do- and definitely not fair. Would you feel comfortable calling up your work and asking if there are any extra shifts you could pick up? It might show your bosses that you are keen to work? 

Take care @Melly90 

Zahlia

@Zahlia wrote:

I know of this happening a lot in companies where if you call in sick they don't roster you on for a while. It's a really sucky thing they do- and definitely not fair. Would you feel comfortable calling up your work and asking if there are any extra shifts you could pick up? It might show your bosses that you are keen to work? 

Take care @Melly90 

Zahlia

I agree with Zahlia to some degree.... if you love your job and generally feel respected there, it might be worth going in and explaining that you really do enjoy your work, but that in this case you had no option but to take sick-leave. I would not elaborate on the nature of your illness. It is quite frankly none of their business and by law they are not allowed to ask you about your illness. If they do try to ask you about it, then I do not believe they have your best interests at heart. 
It is also a very, very good idea to get a sick certificate from your doctor, if you take sick-leave in the future.
@Zahlia, yes, it is so soul-destroying knowing that many employers out their are not ethical in their conduct.
I think that if you are still young and able, it's a good idea to shop around and find a good employer who values their staff. Don't get stuck in a job that consistently treats people with such blatant disrespect.
@Melly90, if you feel up to it, contact the office of the Fair Work Ombudsman and ask them about what happened to you. I think it is illeagal.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance