Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

RA17
Casual Contributor

Job application anxiety

So recently I’ve come across this job and it would be perfect for my study times and my current contract at my job. It’s 2 half days a week and I would be able to work most of that other than one afternoon a fortnight, due to conflict with my contract. This is flexible, it’s casual it would work and being able to keep my current job. My current job is flexible and I work a lot of nights which fit with my studies. However, I’m nervous to apply for this job. I don’t want to stay at my current job forever, I couldn’t with the position I’m in there’s not much room for growth but it’s like a little comfort zone there and with lots of support from the team. I’ve had this anxiety for a long time and I don’t know how to ease it. I wouldn’t even be quitting if I got this new job, I would work my availability around uni and my contracted days which only conflict one afternoon.

Does anyone have any advice on easing anxiety around applying for a new job? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Job application anxiety

Hey @RA17 ,

Thank you for sharing. I've just moved your thread over here to the Lived Experience forum - you may get more traction that way.

Well done on reaching out! I hear your hesitancies in applying for a new job. Do you feel comfortable elaborating on what these hesitancies are? For example, do you have a fear that one job will find out about your other job? Is it the fear that your studies will be interrupted?

Please know, many people hold more than one job. With the current cost of living, people find themselves working 6 days or more. 

I'm interested to hear a little more about your thinking.

Please know you are not alone.

You are welcome to tag me into your posts by typing "@" in front of my name so that I get a notification of your reply. ie. @tyme 

Hi @RA17

I'm TideisTurning, one of the Peer Workers here. Applying for jobs can be super anxiety provoking, absolutely.  I hear you. Something I have learned about  these kinds of nerves is that it can come about because what we're nervous about is insomething that feels really important to us. I'm wondering if this in anmight resonate for you?  as for coping with the anxiety, for myself I find something that helps is simply acknowledging it for a start, and if you can naming why the anxiety might be there. In the case of  job applications, I feel like nearly everyone would get a least a little nervous, which might be another helpful reminder- it's not just you. I hope this helps, and wishing you all the very best!

Hi @tyme 

Thank you for your reply.

I fear that it will interrupt my studies especially when everything is due since they are often around the same time. I also fear it will impact my other job a bit, I am a pretty reliable person and will come in 99.99% of the time, so if I were asked to come in early I would be seen as unreliable and if it impacts my contract. I would have to drive a little over an hour from one job to another.  Also it would impact the relationship I have with my boss now, she gives me a lot of flexibility because she trusts me and knows that I won't mess her around. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance