Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Silverlinin
Casual Contributor

I've been mocked and bullied by my TAFE Teacher

I'm currently studying IT at TAFE New South Wales. Previously, I undertook a different IT course under the same teacher. Back then, I was struggling with bouts of mania and depression. Fast forward to now, for reasons I can't justify, the teacher seems to take pleasure in passively mentioning a former student who had manic episodes. The teacher has been openly mocking my every move and word, even exaggerating my actions. I initially tried to ignore it when it happened once, but it has occurred more than five times, and it's really getting on my nerves. He even makes fun of every request for assistance. This behavior is highly unprofessional and immature. It's as if he lacks a filter. I apologise, but I just needed to vent my frustration.

What's even more traumatising is that I reported this to the head teacher, and to my dismay, the head teacher sided with my IT teacher. The head teacher said, "Sometimes teachers make mistakes here and there," and then went on to explain that asking for extensions is no longer permitted, with reasonable adjustments allowed for a maximum of one day. I reminded him that this bullying and mockery has occurred more than five times. He assured me that he takes bullying very seriously and will address the issue with my teacher. However, his actions didn't align with his words, like how he support his colleague, lectured me when I hadn't asked for it, and changed the topic randomly, forcing me to question how it is related.

Feeling frustrated with this, I escalated the matter to the administration because I believe there's a deep-rooted issue within the IT department. I spoke with the administration, and they communicated with the head teacher. Surprisingly, the head teacher took a complete U-turn, claiming he didn't realise it was bullying and that he would have handled it differently if he had known. I couldn't help but chuckle at his sudden change of stance. I informed the administration that an educational support teacher had been present during the conversation and I could summon to corroborate the details of what happened. It's unfortunate that I have to deal with this situation because this campus is the only TAFE that offers my desired course.

Now that the administration is involved, the responsible teacher has stopped these actions. However, the atmosphere still feels very uncomfortable, and I've resorted to studying at home. Fortunately, the support teacher has arranged a tutor to help me, which is very kind of her.

I'm simply appalled that a TAFE teacher would behave this way.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: I've been mocked and bullied by my TAFE Teacher

Hey @Silverlinin 

Sounds like a challenging situation for you. Nobody deserves to be treated that way. I hope things settle for you. Be kind to yourself, you are worth it!

Re: I've been mocked and bullied by my TAFE Teacher

Hey @Silverlinin,

I'm really sorry to know that you've been experiencing bulling and harassment in your study environment. It sounds like there have been some unhealthy power-dynamics playing out that would be extremely uncomfortable to navigate. 

The support of teachers and other learning assistants is so important. You are so deserving of a positive and supported study experience. 

It sounds like you have advocated for yourself really well. I can imagine that was a such a difficult process, especially considering the lack of initial recognition of how serious your situation has been. 

I'm glad to know that your support teacher has organised for a tutor to assist you with your learning.

How are you feeling about the remainder of your course considering the recent shifts in your circumstances? 

I really hope that you connect with a more comfortable study experience soon.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance