Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

CJ1975
New Contributor

Dealing with BPD for 30 years. I still remain untreated for it.

I’ve been living with BPD for 30 years. I’m so sick of the roller coaster of emotions. And I’m also sick of having to hide it because of the stigma surrounding the diagnosis. My family fail to understand it. And doctors don’t want to treat you because of it. And I’ve always been told that there is no treatment for it so I’ve just given up on ever getting help for it. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Dealing with BPD for 30 years. I still remain untreated for it.

Hello @CJ1975

Gee it sounds like you have done a great job to cope with your BPD for 30 years.

It must be tough though to put up with the roller coaster emotions you are experiencing.

I dont have BPD, but another mental health condition which also affects your emotions,

also . I am treated for my conditon through my Gp now which helps me heaps.

Im sure another sane member will have more information for you about your diagnosis, and 

maybe chat about the possibility of getting some help for how you are feeling.

Best of luck

Hey there @CJ1975 welcome to the forums, I'm glad you found your way here! If you search BPD or Borderline in the search bar you will probably find a wealth of information and others who you can relate with.

I hear you with feeling like those close to you don't understand and being sick of the emotional roller coaster. I have a different disorder myself but it is also a mental illness that has felt like an emotional roller coater and is said to have "no cure". I feel you on the stigma too, it's such a shame that although we have come a long way in mental health awareness in society there is still such a long way to go. People like us are so important to beating stigma. Living with BPD for 30 years with no treatment and minimal support is no small feat, it's amazing, you've made it through everything thus far and now you've found yourself here 🙂 

I spent a large part of my life untreated too. Getting help can be hard, as you said sometimes even doctors don't take things seriously or will have bias based on stigma. There is help available though, have you ever been on a mental health plan or seen a psychologist?

Hey @CJ1975 ,

I'm so sorry to hear how hard it has been for you these 30 years. It is understandable that you have given up on getting help, particularly since people have told you there is no treatment for it. 

I've lived with BPD for 20 years so I can relate to what you have shared. All those years of being told you are untreatable - probably because you were beyond their competencies. 

Well do I have news to share! BPD is VERY treatable. Yes, the treatment is different to many other mental health conditions, but it is NOT untreatable. How do I know? Because I've been treated for it. It's been the most amazing experience anyone can possibly go through. 

My eyes have been opened to a wealth of understanding about life, about people, about my place in this world. 

BPD therapy is not about medication. It is about talking therapies that work to change those unhelpful thinking patterns to something that is more helpful. I engaged in Mentalisation Based Therapy. Both group and individual sessions on a weekly basis for just over 18 months. It was a godsend. I'm not going to lie - it was hard hard work, but totally worth it. 

I would recommend BPD treatments such as DBT and MBT to any borderline - on the condition that they are fully committed to it. 

Don't give up. ACT is also helpful too.

G'day @CJ1975 

I have BPD and treatment exists - I'm on a medication (it won't let me post the name on the forum) which has worked wonders for me, this as well as EMDR, DBT and general talk therapy and learning more about my condition have helped me so much. As BPD usually stems from some kind of drawn out trauma when you are young I have found positive self talk in relation to this has helped me 

eg. "what happened wasn't my fault I was just a kid." 

Reach out with more specific questions, I am happy to discuss. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance