Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

World Suicide Prevention Day - 10th September

English.jpeg

World Suicide Prevention Day is an annual opportunity to raise awareness of suicide and break down stigma. 

"Create Hope Through Action"

This year's theme is Create Hope Through Action. As a peer support service, we see everyday the role that sharing stories and holding hope for others can have in shaping the way that we see our own recovery, and the alternatives to suicide. 

Any action you take can help prevent suicide- from sharing your story to offer hope, checking in with a friend, being there for our loved ones, and raising awareness on this day. 

Here on the forums, we will be celebrating the theme "Creating Hope Through Action" by talking about what this theme means for us in our lives. 

Here is a video from the International Association for Suicide Prevention talking about World Suicide Prevention Day:

How to get involved on the forums

You can:

1. Share a story of a time when you took action to support a loved one, or a time when someone took action to support you.
  2. You can share a heart Heart on the forums to let the community know you are a safe person to turn to during difficult times. 

Want to read more about what you can do this World Suicide Prevention Day? Check out some suggested activities below:WSPD-Suggested-Activities.png

12 REPLIES 12

Re: World Suicide Prevention Day - 10th September

Sharing a Heart 

Do we share our story on this section @Daisydreamer? 🙂

I have in the past had my Husband stop me from committing suicide. He sat with me through the bad times and gave me something to live for. I still get suicidal urges and still live with them but I know I have support in real life and on line. I reach out for that support in my darkest times.

Lots of 💗💗💗💗💗

Sure can @JungleGiants

"I still get suicidal urges and still live with them but I know I have support in real life and on line. I reach out for that support in my darkest times." @Snowie Knowing where that support is and who we can turn to in these times makes such a difference Heart Thank you for sharing your story and sending Heart

Heart

Finding the right supports is so important. You can have so many people around you but feel so alone and lost at the same time. Being able to reach out for support in my most darkest of times takes a huge amound of courage. In the end it takes more courage to stay than to go. 

💗
Things that have helped me survive depressive suicidal episodes:
- sleep on it.
- accepting my brain has a suicidal default response to emotional distress.
- dont act on it... deep breaths and self care and it will pass.
- study and practice stress management.
- know that 'i am not my thoughts' - I am the observer of them and don't have to be hooked in.

I have attempted, and saved my life by basically waiting/putting it off, like @Rosemary4 puts better. Theres a great newsletter called The Big Feels Club where a mentor told them they had also gone a day at a time, or even shorter than that, while reaching out when suicidal. Its a very insightful newsletter which Id recommend. Doing this meant I ended up getting help and eventually a mental health diagnosis after going to hospital. Thoughts of family, friends, pets were also crucial. Its important to tell people how youre feeling, 24/7 crisis lines are there too. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance