Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: When the media impacts our mental health

life is not fair..think of all those media people on all the major networks

think of all the $$$$ they earn to do this job...like politicians they earn too much $$$$

I wonder how they spend all that $$$$

now think of the battlers like you and me struggling to survive

@NikNik, haven't read/watched the news since my hospitalisation. Read the news tonight. Much anger. Much rage.

My 13yo stopef breathing, died 1045pm Australia Day 2011, waking up to media hype & celebrations, all that audio visuals, I just can't handle it. Major trigger I'm still not prepared for. Knocked me flat yesterday, been in a stupor since, can't think, organise myself... And I hate it. Just saying. Don't ha e TV reception at home but with parents atm and they're got TV on loud all day.

Stay strong @Former-Member
Luv n Hugzzz 💕 🎶

@Former-Member anniversies marking the loss of loved once can be really hard. Can you put headphones on to drown out the triggering noises?

Hoping you're looking after you. 

Dear All,

I have virtually given up reading the paper because of all the tearjerking stories - I just buy it for the weather and the entertainment guide! You know off course you can turn the news OFF.It is not healthy to expose ourselves to so much trauma and shock when we are in a poor state ourselves.

This is something I did while I was sick. I started to read children's stories, especially "The Wind In The Willows.' These classics are beautifully written and a joy to read. They take you away into a magical world away from mental illness and help you keep your thoughts healthy. On a more adult level G.K. Chesterton's "Father Brown" stories and Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories are also good.

Take a visit to your local library and have a look. Most libraries also have comfortable seating areas where you can sit and read in air-conditioned comfort.

Ellu

Cool topic @NikNik

The media with their 'scare mongering' reporting as others have shared is negative to read.

I avoid the news as I tend to think it is a one sided view. But? I like to hear issues in the community and responses they have developed and are finding useful.

Murder, rape, assaults, robbery happen and are awful to read about. It is like horror movies or action packed violent movies. They are watched but most would not harm a fly. Where as 'advertising' a product or service is selling something. They want me to like it, offer it at a reasonable price and buy it. It promotes desire and sells the 'need' and 'affordability'.

I do read sad, violent news and shun and the thought of how others can harm someone.

I do try to balance it with news of acheivement, success and social change.

Hi everyone, interesting to read this thread. For years I haven't watched television news and I have an agreement with the person I live with that we will change channels every time a politician starts talking on TV. But I do read the news online pretty much everyday, ABC and my local. Usually only the headlines to get the sense of what is happening out there. An occasional full article, often about something related to the arts, the mind or the ongoing discoveries in astronomy. 

Mostly, this approach has kept me relatively sane in the face of the media assault.

However, as @NikNik mentioned, I am now faced with a Facebook and Twitter feed full of politics, especially about the USA. I have a lot of net friends in the US, some have been online friends for years. I feel for their despair and rage at the current regime in control of their government. I am finding this is really affecting me lately but I don't want to mute these people. We have other interests that bond us, sometimes even bring us together in artistic collaborations. They are part of my life.

So I don't have an answer in regards the Facebook and Twitter feed. Perhaps when the world gets darker, it is just not completely possible for us to avoid being affected by that too...

I am afraid there is only one way to deal with media affecting mental health - turn it off! There are still a few good magazines out there, for example The Economist (which is not all about economics) where you can find well-written opinion pieces and reports of news. As for television news, why put yourself through it?

Our world is definitely a dark place at the moment. The only consolation is that looking back on history there have always been dark periods and happier, more constructive periods.What we need is good leadership (which we don't have at the moment)

As travellers in the 21st century, we have to reject rubbish reporting as  it will only impact on our mental health.Be aware of this if you turn the television on - it is guaranteed to affect our mood, and who wants that?

Ellu

I have got distressed at times by the media and the so called big mouth experts on morning shows who give their opinions on us Centrelink bludgers.I would do anything to not be in this position.The judgements on those who have medical exemptions to get out of looking for work has distressed me when I am struggling to find a reason to live.I am getting upset writing this.I realise there are those who aren't genuine but I see it as kicking someone when they are down. At times they are bias,and poor judgements eg:the explanation I heard from one on the behaviour of someone was because they have poor education and from a low socioeconomic background.There could be many reasons besides making yourself look like a smart ***

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance