Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Arizona
Senior Contributor

Severe, long term depression

I thought I would start a thread for those of us who have severe, long term depression, such as a diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder (MDD).

I thought we could use this space to talk about things like:

- Our day to day experience of depression. 

- How depression affects our lives.

- What supports we have or think we need.

- Coping strategies and self care.

- What works for us/what doesn't work for us.

- Our attitudes towards recovery.

- A clear explanation of the Recovery Model.

- The importance of having good doctors and therapists.

- What it is like for us to deal with mental health organisations.

- What it is like for us to be consumers of the mental health system.

- The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

- A clear explanation of stigma. 

- Our dreams and goals.

And generally being of support to one another.

I'm just suggesting these as ideas to start us off but of course we can talk about anything.

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Severe, long term depression

@Arizona Thank you for starting this thread/discussion- its a great idea. Hopefully we can help each other move forward and also give support when needed to Smiley Happy

No worries @oceangirl

I will write again soon about my experience of having depression.

Hi @Arizona @oceangirl 

I experience bipolar depression. It's there more often than not. Somtimes I sink really deep really fast.

This is a good idea - sharing experiences and ideas.

@Arizona Look forward to getting to know you more. Hope you had a great day !!

@frog Hi Frog thanks for the tag and its great to hear from you. What helps you with your depression and biploar? Having a MI is tough but hopefully we can make life a littler easier for each other.  I hope you had a great day !!

@oceangirlfor me knowing that everything changes, and that includes depression, is something to hold on to. I don't hope to be free of it. It's been with me for decades, but I do get some breaks, small wins and moments of joy sometimes in spite of it. I can go for long periods without much/any light in my life, but I know that it's never permenant.

Sleep well oceangirl and @Arizona 

@frog You're a brave and strong person. I have found taking vitamin D helps with my depression but you should check medication with your Dr or pharmacist. Hopefully with newer treatments you might get some more relief from your depression and bipolar. Do you have any activties that you enjoy doing?

Morning @oceangirl 

Yes to Vitamin D! My GP has me on it for several reasons, including mental health.

I like getting outside, gardening in my tiny courtyards, reading (though sometimes anxiety stops me).

Football (soccer) is a happy distraction for me and I follow several teams, including a local womens' one.

How about you? What are you favourite things to do?

Morning @frog 

How are you? Glad you have a supportive GP.  Do you take the weekly or daily vitamin D? And pleased to hear you have things you enjoy doing. I can relate to how anxiety impacts you (reading and engaging in life). One of my biggest thing in my life is my dog Milo and I spend quite a bit of time with him everyday. I enjoy my beach walks and going to the gym. I would like to spend more time riding my bike and swimming and perhaps try a new hobby. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance