Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

Quitting Psychiatry

I have decided i am done with all of it especially the medictions ever since i started them i have only felt worse i think they may even be causing my problems. so i have decided to tell my treatment team that i am no longer going to be seeing them but how my biggest problem is that i just got off a treatment order like a few days ago and i am scared they will try and put me on another one if i try and leave. or should i just stop taking my meds and keep seeing them and pretend i am doing what they want maybe i need a lawyer lol but seriously what do i do?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Quitting Psychiatry

Hi @Eden1919,

If you end up needing a laywer, from my expereince, Community Legal Centres often have solid experience in supporting appeals against CTO's, and they are free 🙂

Thanks if i need one i will try one of them first. i am just struggling with what to say because i am 100% sure the first thing they will ask is "have you been taking your meds" which i have but i do plan to stop taking them eventually/soon ish. and they will just assume i am unwell and cant make a decision plus they lie all the time they even lied in legal documents for my last treatment order it is just so frustrating i feel like because they say i have a mental illness i have lost all my rights and independence. i want them back and i will get them i am determined. 

Hello @Eden1919

It seems like you are trying to take helpful some steps towards what is working well for you but unfortunately this isn't so easy because of your treatment team, perhaps you could try that option of slowly disconnecting with them if you think that will be more helpful for you in the long term but also get some advocacy for your rights. I am not sure where you are based, but you could try calling VMIAC and having a chat about the best way to do this and to avoid a treatment order:

Victorian Mental Illness Association Council

03 9380 3900

https://www.vmiac.org.au/

Lunar 🙂

It is hard cause one of the conditions of me getting off the last order was that I stay in treatment but I don't think that is fair I am generally anti psychiatry but they don't like that they would just say it is my illness. It isn't though I just don't believe it is a real science. Maybe I should just tell them I am seeing someone else then just stop seeing that person.

Okay I see @Eden1919, you feel as though the science isn't helping and you think that not getting any treatment would be more helpful for you at the moment? Is that mainly to do with the medication and that is has made you feel worse?

@Lunar Mostly it is that the medication has made me feel worse yes but i also have issues with side effects and stuff 

Hi @Eden1919,

Apologies as I've not read over the full thread, just the tail end. Can I ask how long you've been on the meds?

@CherryBomb one i have been on for 7 months and the other i have been on for 3 months. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance