Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Powderfinger
Senior Contributor

Need help please - Holiday

I desperately need a holiday. Really badly. It's not just about deserving a holiday I NEED a holiday. I am truly struggling to think beyond that. I don't know where to go or how to even plan it. I have ruled out anything that requires me to work a lot. No to camping. 

I really want rest and relaxation. I need rest, rejuvenation and to recharge my dead batteries. I can't take it anymore and I'm feeling very distressed because I know how much I need this. The more I can't think the more I get distressed. I don't know what to do to get past this. 

PF

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Need help please - Holiday

@Powderfinger  not sure what your asking?

tips on where to go?

or do you need support because you actually can't go on  holidays due to lockdown?

@SJT63 

Ways to help me think and plan for a holiday with the requirements I listed in my original post. Something I can feel excited about and change my thought patterns instead of intense focus and emotions on recent trauma 

@Powderfinger  what is interesting, is that when I am feeling down I often plan holidays that deep down I know I will never take.

I pick a spot in the world (usually Europe) and start planning an itinerary as if I were a travel agent.

I start with trip advisor to see where the sorts of attractions etc that I like are located, then choose an air bnb or boutique hotel nearby. I look at day trips (usually by train for me, becuase I love trains) or by boat - harbour cruises are the bomb. I work out where I'll eat each evening and everthing.

I drop the google map man down into the street and "walk around" my chosen city.

I can "waste" days planning holidays - noting everything in my spreadsheets as I plan each day down to the hour. 

I also do this when I'm really travelling and make a compendium of maps and street-view photos so I don't get lost in between places.

One of my favourite escapist activities.

so.... pick a spot you'd like to go to, somewhere you've never been, and start researching how to get there, where to stay, what the place has to offer..... it's fun!

I need a holiday too. I used to be able to travel to Adelaide every few months to reconnect, visit graves, but lockdown has prevented my Adelaide holiday therapy now. 

YRe: Need help please - Holiday

@SJT63 

I love your suggestions. I also like what you do wasting your days away. Europe is somewhere I'd love to go. A bit exy at the moment. My passport also needs renewal. For now I will stick to somewhere in Australia. Thanks, this does help. 

PF

@Owen45 

I hope lockdown truly does end for good soon and you get to go to Adelaide. 

@Powderfinger 

I don't know what kind of person are.. but i loved Darwin. the museum is awesome there and it is free.  They have free waterparks on the town outskirts. Their roads are amazing, the stuff to do, from Jumping Crocodile tours to beautiful hot springs to swim in such as berry berry springs, Litchfield national park..

Darwin is just an awesome place. 

@AussieRecharger 

That is actually where I have decided to go lol. Darwin/The Kimberleys. It's my birthday in October so I am going for sure. So exciting and very much deserved. Thanks @SJT63 for your help. 

PF

@Powderfinger 

Awesome choice!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance