Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Appleblossom
Community Elder

Fictional Representations of Mental Illness

I watched one episode of this and kind of liked it, tho I am not always a fan of fictional representations of mental illness.

What do you think of Wakefield?

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/it-s-a-thin-line-between-madness-and-sanity-in-psych-war... 

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Fictional Representations of Mental Illness

@Appleblossom 

I made it through the first 2 episodes but I didn't like it, the characters were overplayed imho (as a former actor)

Hi @Appleblossom,

Thanks for the recommendation of the drama series.

As my tutor would have said, workers in such settings need to be aware of:

1. transference and countertransference

2. oneself as a wounded healer and projecting that on clients and vice versa

3. ALWAYS do self reflection to avoid the above 2. 

It shouldn't work like in the movie where the nurse breaks down as the patients are healing. All healthcare and allied health professionals should understand mental health self care. They are assisted by EAP and work cover too. 

But it's just a movie after all. It's meant for entertainment. 

I have a friend who works as a nurse in a mental ward facility for almost 20 years. He is a very caring and patient person, but definitely not negatively affected by his patients at all. 

@Lilaca 

Hearing you and really appreciate your post.  When I tried to study psych hursing in late teens I was told I would not be able to manage it cos of my father's psych history. It was in days where a lot of training was on the wards.  I was devastated for a while but ended up staying in public service and studying in tertiary, so probably a better outcome for me.

Smiley Happy

@SJT63 Ahh ... on 2nd episode and I get what you mean.  It is really putting me off modern film making.  So much yanking around the audience emotions. Ah well.

Someone mentioned it in conversation and I thought it worth a look.

Big new thing for me, is being able to have non loaded conversations about entertainment.  Been working on the whole entertainment thingy ... it feels kind a new for me ... to be able to pick & choose.

Hi @Appleblossom ,

I bet you would have made a good psych nurse. I believe in you. HeartSmiley Wink

Hello @Appleblossom @SJT63 @Lilaca 

I watched the first episode and honestly did not know how I felt.

It certainly did not grab my attention.

I could not see reality and wonder whether it was meant to be more of a send up.

The actors were just that coming across as actors.

The interraction between workers was theatrical.

The story line lost it's authenticity.

I persevered through the last episode of series 1 and will definitely not be looking to watch series 2.

On another note I watched a very good film called The upside. I do not remember if it was on Prime Video which has some relatively good series along with rubbish.

My preference has always been IVIEW although even that is not of the same standard.

I record films from the world movies channel.

Now I am on here more often at the moment.

Sophia

Hello again all

I also watched Cosi again for the umpteenth time which I love.

😉

@Sophia1 I can't believe I've never seen Cosi but I really must give a burl.

I've just cancelled prime and netflix because I've been watching more SBS than anything else. Giving Britbox a go because UK crime shows are my favourites - and they've got Yes Minister and Faulty Towers so it will take a few months to get bored.

I also have "History Hit" which is rather good. Along with proper documentaries they have videos of lectures and podcasts and you can pay for a year in advance to save money.

Everything you said about Wakefield was spot on and I'm glad I didn't bother with the rest of the series. 

Are you old enough to remember the film "Sybil" from the 70's?

Hello @SJT63 

Thank you for letting me know about History documentaries.

I have seen Britbox.

Have watched faulty towers and Yes Minister so many times.

My husband has recorded all of Yes Minister on CDs so we often listen to them on drives when  we go away. Has been a while. We seem to hear the same CD over and over laugh.

You must watch Cosi.

Are you a fan of Geoffrey Rush?

Shine of course, very sad but brilliant.

Seen him in other films and cannot remember names.

Oh to have a reconditioned brain!

@Lilaca @Appleblossom 

Sylvia I started to watch a couple of weeks ago I think on Prime. Very good acting. Depressed me though. Something that I have to keep in mind. 

I shall try to remember what else I have watched and perhaps keep a list!

This reminds me of a book club.

A film club.

xx

@Appleblossom @Sophia1 @SJT63 

I'm not a big fan of movies, but someone mentioned 'in Treatment' is a good one. It's about a psychotherapist and his sessions with his patients. A drama, not documentary. I haven't watched this though. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance