Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Diabetes and mental health

Hi @SmilingGecko 

Sounds really good about the food choices. Can you share the recipe for the bliss balls?

Hi @SmilingGecko 

These look really good I'm going to try these. 

I have diabetes too the hcb1a about 7.7 and my GP wants to put me on weekly injections of ozempic if I don't bring in down by May this year. My problem is I enjoy coke and I'm stubborn. I have 5 cans left then I'm going to eat "clean". My liver enzymes arent happy with my soft drink choices either. Anyway thankyou for this forum. 

As a sub for coke you can mix 1/2 cup plain mineral water with 1/2 cup coconut water with a dash of lime juice and pomegranate arils floating around for sweetness @pinklollipop15 or omit the arils Its very hydrating with the coconut water 

You can buy frozen pomegranate arils from Coles or just buy a whole pomegranate.  You got to know how to tap a pomegranate to get the arils out of the fruit 🙂 Its a nice fizzy drink but healthy. If you drink coke as a pick me up like an energy drink I was told by a doctor to take sublingual Vitamin B12 every day to give the type of boost energy drinks do. Vitamin B12 will give you energy

Will post bliss ball recipe tomorrow as its getting late! ❤️

Mineral & coconut water with pomegranate arilsMineral & coconut water with pomegranate arils

@Shaz51 @SmilingGecko @pinklollipop15  @NatureLover  @ClockFace  I saw the dietician today. She wants me to aim still lower for HbA1c and boost my protein. 

Hello @Dimity , @SmilingGecko , @pinklollipop15 , @Jacques , @NatureLover 

I am waiting to see a dietician regarding diabetes and kidney disease 

The doctor has increased my insulin injections today to 8 units in the morning and 8 units at night 

don't feel bad @Shaz51 mum is on the same insulin and she is on 20 units, she will be seeing her doctor soon to have a kidney check done. it is meant to help with the kidneys. 

Hello @pinklollipop15 I have my blissballs recipe just for you! ❤️ 

It uses browning of rolled oats in a hot pan to begin with, a can of chickpeas plus peanut butter powder (I buy the peanut butter powder online from sunnybrook healthfood store) and cocoa (I use carob powder as a sub which is great for lowering blood sugar).

You put it in a food processor except the rolled oats and choc chips which you stir in later. I use a gluten free oats brand and buy in bulk from overseas on Amazon. Oats in Australia are full of gluten and are known to trigger mental illness. You can't get gluten free oats here as there is cross contamination with storage, freight and distribution channels. 

You can read pubmed articles on the link between gluten and mental illness episodes. I have no gluten in my diet. If I have had gluten it has set off an episode. For the choc chips I use the Noshu brand sugar free choc chips from the supermarket 🙂

Blissballs Recipe

Ingredients

Rolled oats, dry

1 cup(s), (90g)

Canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained

1 400g can

Honey

2 tbs

Vanilla bean extract, alcohol free

1 tsp

Plain peanut butter powder

½ cup(s), (55g)

Cocoa powder

cup(s), (30g)

Dark chocolate chips

¼ cup(s), (50g)

Instructions

1. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook oats, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes or until they smell toasty and are lightly browned. Tip onto a plate to cool.
  2. Process chickpeas, honey, vanilla and ¼ cup water in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of processor bowl as needed. Add peanut butter powder and cocoa. Process until well blended and mixture starts to form a ball.
  3. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in toasted oats and chocolate chips. Roll into 24 balls (about 1 slightly rounded tablespoon of mixture per ball). Chill for 30 minutes or until firm before serving.

BlissballsBlissballs

Morning @NatureLover , @pinklollipop15 , @Dimity , @Jacques , @SmilingGecko , @Paperdaisy , @Daisysmum , @Judi9877 

how is everyone going with their Diabetes 

I am meeting up with a dietician again this week and get my blood tests results on friday 

@oceangirl , @Anastasia , @Owlunar2 , @tyme , @Jynx , @Zoe7 , @Wanderer 

thankyou for the following tips @Judi9877 

The best tips I can give to you is:

- Get a diabetic educator on board to help with all things diabetic

- See a podiatrist for all things feet related as feet are known to have issues in relation to diabetes with nerves causing some problems 

- Look at reading the magazine Diabetic Living for great advice and tips as well as recipes and other great information 

- A dietitian can help with food and diet information 

- Maybe look at an endocrinologist as well to help with the diabetes management 

- A psychologist can also help with issues of shame with diabetes and other mental health issues

- A GP is a great person to have on board who can monitor the diabetes and other issues 

- See an optometrist for all things related to the eyes and eye care.

Hello @Shaz51 . Hope you're going well - as well as you can. 

I might follow up with my dietician too. I was recently diagnosed with coronary heart disease. My bloods were a bit concerning too, and I had a vitamin deficiency. So I've got to rethink diet again and shed more w3ight. My new gp suggested intermittent fasting.

I'm still trying to walk regularly. 

It's a bit of a battle sometimes with a mood disorder,  med side effects, and some pain issues. But one step in front of the other hey.

Hello @Dimity 

I am on vitamin D and have to do a sleep study and get a bone density test  done 

I am finding hard to lose weight as the insulin makes me  put weight on 

intermittent fasting-- what is your GP suggesting ( like overnight) 

Yes one of Mr shaz meds are giving him bad dreams soo he has stopped taking them and is going to bring it up with his doctor, they have put him on blood pressure meds too 

Get my blood tests results on Friday 

Here for you @Dimity 

@tyme , @LilMapleLeaf , @Xibon , @Blackbird11 , @Jynx , @PinkFlamingo , @Tilz , @RiverSeal 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance