Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Feel
New Contributor

Supported accommodation

Hi,

I'm new here today... just hoping to share somd experiences and maybe find some solutions along the way...

We have a 29yo son diagnosed with psychosis following suicide attempt in 2014. It's been a slow and difficult path for him navigating his way through a myriad of care professionals and agencies that often never really seem very "joined-up" or tuned into his needs, despite having a really good local GP. Compounding that is a cornucopia of medications that i sometimes think may(?) actually be hindering (or delaying?) any positive recovery or independence. He's still at home with my wife and I and he's increasingly agitated about feeling physically and mentally unwell and unable to gain some independence. He said his psychiatrist told him at his last appointment that he can't help him.

We find it difficult to know how to help him gain more independence. He feels ready to take some steps to independence but but feels hamstrung about how to find any meaningful support to take some first steps...

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Supported accommodation

HI @Feel,

Welcome to the Forums. My name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE. It is great that you have found us and have reached out. 

I'm sorry to read about what your son and your family are going through. It sounds like things have been very challenging for you all for a while. 

From my experience as a support carer for a family member with a serious mental health issue (diagnosed 20 years) I understand the challenges you talk about around the mental health system not really `joining-up'. I think one of the problems is that the despite it beginning called a `system' most of the organisation in this system are somewhat separate to each other.

This is a link to some information around recovery and mental health from healthdirect which is a government website https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/mental-health-recovery. Hopefully this may offer a bit of help and guidance around your question regarding your son's independence. 

I'm also concerned that you and your wife are receiving support. As a carer I understand the importance around receiving your own support while you are supporting your son. I can tell by what you write that you and your wife care and support your son very much which is really lovely but I would encourage you both (if you haven't already) to look into some support for yourselves too as being a carer can be a lonely and unsure time. This is a link around regarding support for carers https://www.sane.org/spotlight-on/families-carers/what-support-is-available-for-carers.

I wish your son and your family all the best and hope you find the help and answers you are looking for soon.

Warm wishes, 

FloatingFeather  

Thank you 🙂

We'll check out the links. Much appreciated. 

Best regards

Hi @Feel  and welcome to the forum. My daughter 28 finally started receiving support with regards to supported accommodation amongst other things once she was approved for NDIS. It has made a huge difference for her. It took quite a while for things to come together but now rents a small house and has support 6 hours per day. Have you considered applying for the NDIS for your son? I hope your wife and yourself are also receiving some form of support on this journey. Hoping answers are presented to you all soon. 

Hey @Feel!

Welcome to the forums! Thanks for sharing your story here with us, it's really great that you are reaching out to get extra support for your family and your son. 

Although I do not have much experience in this realm, I did just want to touch on the fact that it is really amazing that you are seeking advice about this. You are doing a great thing for your son and your family, and I really hope some of the members online on this forum can help you with some advice on it. ❤️

Warm regards,

Amber22

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance