Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Lls20
New Contributor

Psychosocial recovery coach

Hi

my son is living with schizophrenia he is 40 and doing reasonably well living alone. He is supported by NDIS. He has problems maintaining support staff. Recently he fell out with his psychosocial recovery coach that he had been OK with for about a year. My question is “Is a psychosocial recovery coach necessary?”

does anyone have any recommendations he lives in Brisbane. I support his decisions regarding his feelings towards carers. I’m not sure what happened. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Psychosocial recovery coach

Hi there @Lls20 

Welcome to the forums. It's great that you're reaching out to get the best support for your son. 

The NDIS have allocated a PRC as they feel it would benefit him. If he doesn't want one he can talk to the service provider who looks after his NDIS funds to put in a plan review to the NDIS. He could request to have a support coordinator as an alternative to a PRC who can support your son in having the best supports to help his disability. The other option is for your son to request a new PRC if that is preferred. At the service I used to work at we had 4 PRCs and the client always chose who they preferred to work with. 

Hope that helps

Hanami

What is the support service you used to work for? I’ll check with my son to see if he wants a new PRC

Hi @Lls20 

Unfortunately I can't say who I used to work for as it's a small business in my local area and would go against our anonymity guidelines (https://saneforums.org/t5/help/faqpage/title/anonymity) . I will say though that your son is entitled to change service providers if not happy with them at any time. There are so many service providers around now that it can be hard to find a good one so I'd recommend asking around amongst your friends, family, online reviews to gain some insight into the more decent ones. 

Warm regards

Hanami

Hi @Lls20  My daughter too lives with schizophrenia and has changed social support workers and NDIS providers a few times with the help of her community mental health team. Finding the right “fit” has been tricky but now I’m told is making progress. I hope you’re son gets the right team to watch over him. 

I think his pride might feel wounded when he has to rely on others or count on support people. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance