Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Jessie21
Senior Contributor

PTSD

Hi I am new to the forum.  I am mature aged, I experienced a number of traumas through my life.  Because of these trauma I have PTSD, moderate depression and anxiety.  I am now aged and find when I have a relapse or trigger my health is being affected. I now have IBS, diverticulosis and urticaria.  Like many people COVID has not been great for my mental health.  I have had to withdraw from some of my family and friends because of bullying behaviour which triggers my mental health.  I have a supportive psychiatrist and GP and I  close family and friends who i can talk too.   I am concerned that because it takes me quite while to get back on top of things I am not much fun to be around.  So I am hoping this forum could be a safe place to talk, learn and share strategies to cope 💕

21 REPLIES 21
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: PTSD

Hi @Jessie21 @I have also experienced traumas in my life due to MH issues though not great I firmly believe that time heals all wounds so I hope there is a way for your family and friends to be supportive while you grieve or recover…. Maybe setting some boundaries might help whilst you recover and the same things can’t happen a second or third time around might help. Try and find that inner strength and let people know that you ll stand up for what you believe may be a good route, I dunno but I feel when my guard is up people will generally leave you alone

tyme
Community Lead

Welcome to the forums @Jessie21 ,

Prior to being a peer support worker, I found these forums an essential part of my recovery. In real life, I was afraid to speak to people and really withdraw from society. 

These forums taught me to reconnect with life. It gave me a sense of belonging. So much so that I have migrated into working as a Peer Support Worker.

I hope you will find these forums as valuable as I have.

Please feel free to browse around to see what parts of the forums you are interested in. Some highlights include:

Re: Hot Chocolate Anyone ? 

Daily Achievements! 

The Ice-Memery 

The Weekly Friday Feast 

See you around, @Jessie21 !

tyme

Jessie21
Senior Contributor

Yep, I also tell myself bad things happen to good people. I tend to vent to friends and family when I am upset. Which I think is healthy, however seem to be doing it a lot lately. I am concerned i am not fun to be around 🥺

Being reflective of your actions and behaviour definitely helps to make any changes you want @Jessie21 .

It good to hear you have people to talk to.

All the best, tyme

Jessie21
Senior Contributor

Thank you for your support, in early years. I have been eventually found the strength to improve my situation, like when I discovered my then husband betraying me whilst pregnant with with two teenage children. After I gave birth my lovely baby he was cared for by a mother with postnatal depression. In a town away from my family support. Some how I was able to pull myself together and complete a social work degree and made my financial independent. I successfully worked in the aged care industry for 30 years. I loved my work and when I saw unfairness and abuse of our clients I would stand up for them which did not go over well with my organisations who would bully me until I left. So I had to move around a bit. So I feel I have a lot of inner strength. I am now married to a beautiful man and found I had three step daughters. They have scars from their mum and dad break up. I was not involved in this break up. My children have also have their scars too. We are now 30 years down the track. One of my step daughters and my son have directed anger and bullying to the point towards me and I have had to put boundaries in place to care for my self. Which has resulted in me having to withdraw from celebrations from both families. There are other boundaries I have had to put in place from brother who I have unable to be close to due unforgivable abuse as a child. My close sister in-law passed away suddenly last month and I was unable to attend the funeral because I could not cope with being in contact with the family members who I can not be around. So I feel bad about that. So I am in a low place at present and my self esteem is in the pits. There is a light at the end of the tunnel we are moving into a over 55 apartments. Which appear to be a happy place. So I am hoping this will be good for my mental health .
Jessie21
Senior Contributor

Thank you Tyme, yes I do appreciate having good friends and I do love them. I just don’t want to be always be so down all the time
Jessie21
Senior Contributor

Thank you Tyme, I am hopeful this group could be helpful for me and I can I can be a support for you guys 🌹
jay2
Senior Contributor

Hi tyme,    I have found SANE forum invaluable, I turn to it mostly if I have a problem, some times I just need to get something off my chest, like when I spit the dummy with the shrink.I do not accept every thing shrinks say,and I tell them so.    I find conferring with fellow SANE people, those who have similar problems, their advice is really important....    Just been to the city,saw the shrink,rabbited on , very animated and probably a bit loud ,felt I was doing OK, a bit irritated at having to go back to the city in a months time because of mistakes made by the people behind the desk.Really got up my nose....The next day thinking things over ,knowing I was felling a bit elevated, I felt miffed that the Shrink didnt remark to me I was a bit hyper.   If I am told these things I am a bit more guarded as to what I say and do. .Any way , now I am rabbiting on to you , waiting for the down to come that follows the up. I think I will now go and sit in the sun,and try to make my down a little less unpleasant. Regards @jay2

Hey @jay2, I'm not sure the tagging worked, so I'll tag @tyme again to make sure they see this 😊. For future reference, if you place an @ symbol in front of someone's forum name, this will allow you to tag them so they get a notification of your reply 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance