Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Nothing works for me.

Hello @Powderfinger   I wrote a long post last night after an exhiliarating day, but it failed to send and I was too tired to recompose it.  

Well, that was the most exhiliarating day I have had in more years than I can remember.

I joined U3A last year and enrolled in 6 classes and volunteering, but, as I had joined when my life and mind was so severely traumatised, it all sent me into sensory overload.  I dropped out, but enrolled in a one-term course of lawn bowls at the local club.  

I had never been a fan but, from the outset, the U3A group who had also enrolled were a fun group.  We had a great time and were sad to see it finish.  Some of us have joined the club now.

One of the class invited me along for a bowl yesterday - we can drop in to practise any time - but I found myself roped into an intra-club match.  We lost the first match but won when we played against the other top losing team - and $50.00 each.  It was a truly great day.

When I was responding to @saltand pepper in his suicidal thoughts on Friday, I was also going through the same.  Trying to help him through it helped me.  It just gets so tiring sometimes going through all these waves of feeling good, then crashing into hopelessness again.

Anyway, I have worked my way through many experiences over the past decades - some good, some bad. I have learned a lot - about life, people and myself and I think, in joining the bowls club, I may have found my niche in life.  Fabulous group of people - once we get the bugs ironed out.  I am working ahead with that objective.  Being part of a like-minded group in the real world certainly feels good.

And the club's members range in age from twenties (champions) to seniors.  I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone and become a member of a second family.  I really feel that the groundwork of rebuilding my life has finished and I am now getting it out of the ground.

You're a beautiful and good person too, @Powderfinger.  We all are.  We just have to hang in there while we find our way.

Have a happy Sunday.

@Historylover 

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not well physically and mentally so just been trying to take care of myself. Thank you for sharing. 

Look after yourself. 

Powderfinger. 

Good to see you back on board, @Powderfinger.

It's amazing - the swings and roundabouts in our lives.  I was feeling so optimistic and hopeful for change when I wrote, but of course it has, as usual, crashed again.  

I hope you are taking care of yourself too.  

Best wishes,

Historylover

Hi @Historylover 

I was yelling "YES" at my phone last night when I typed a lengthy reply with a couple of examples (which didn't post for some reason - probably operator error). Anyway, I just wanted to say that I understand and have struggled with the same sort of thing for as long as I can remember. Another shared experience for us. Take care, RedHorse 🌹🐴

Good to hear from you @RedHorse   Sometimes these posts can get out of context and I'm not quite sure what you are referring to....that you are excluded from cliques, that your life goes in swings and roundabouts?  All?  None?  Please clarify for me so that I can learn a little more about what you have experienced.

I'm sitting here with a bag of liquorice allsorts.  A couple of weeks ago my pc was wearing out and, as it was during lockdown, I had to buy it online and click and collect.  I went to play an instructional cd yesterday and found it didn't have that ability.  I was dumbstruck.  Every time, a little less function for a little more money.  I then put the cd into my television to play.  I had never used it for that before and had no idea how to.  It seems it doesn't, and my cd is stuck in the back and I can't play it or get it out.  My television, in the last few weeks, has lost data input and all channels associated with ABC and SBS - my favourites.  I bought a new television and found the same problems.  It seems to be a problem with the antenna or cable port, so the agent is getting someone to look into it.  Currently only channel 44 so I'm not viewing.

Nothing here has changed much.  I may be able to shower tomorrow or Monday.  And the kitchen may be started next week..here's hoping.  I'm looking forward to eating normally again.  And showering.  But you are quite familiar with all of these difficulties, aren't you?

So not a good week but the liquorice allsorts are good.  Chocolate coated honeycomb next.  Really 'pigging out!'

Edit:  but on a lighter note, I went shopping and found $10.00 on the footpath on my way home.  Every cloud........ and at 7.00 p.m this evening, my kaboodle kitchen has just arrived ready for installation.

Oh no @Historylover, I just typed a really long reply and got an 'Authentication Failed' message. Truly nothing ever works for me either 🤦😓 Short version: I was referring mainly to being excluded from social cliques but also feel my life is a series of swings, roundabouts and obstacle courses. I'll have another go at explaining myself if I feel up to it tomorrow. Right now I need to take my night time meds and get ready for bed. Goodnight, RedHorse.

Edit: Apparently there is still a problem with an invalid HTML link that I know nothing about... Sigh 😣 I hope this version works

@RedHorse   I know what you mean regarding 'Authentication Failed'.  It has happened to me a number of times and is so frustrating.  Whether it has something to do with the time it took to post - I am not sure, but that has been so with my failed posts, and if you are on your phone that would really slow you down.Smiley Frustrated

Haha @Historylover  It has happened twice more:

1. I've decided to leave the story of my being frozen out of an off-the-grid group in the past and focus on what I can do in the now;

2. You are certainly having a bad run with PC/DVD/TV 🤦 I hope your agent can get the channels sorted soon;

3. Hooray to the arrival of your kaboodle kitchen. 🎉 That's one step closer to normality;

4. I wonder if you got to have a shower🚿 today? I did and I feel sooo much better; and

5. I wish you a pleasant first week of August.

Take care of yourself, RedHorse 🌹🐴

Just had my first shower for over a week, @RedHorse.  Sitting here in my pyjamas, wrapped up in a doona.

The handy man who is doing all my renovations fixed my television too.  He is amazing.  Kitchen is partially installed.  Perhaps quite a few more days before I'll be back in there.  Looking forward to the change.  

Perhaps if you have a library nearby, you could join and use their public computers.  I used to do all my computer work at mine before I reconnected last year.  Just a thought.

Anyway - happy August to you too.  Spring is just around the corner.  Take care! Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance