Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Genevieve8844
Casual Contributor

Loneliness

how do I make friends, I’m so lonely 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Loneliness

First things first @Genevieve8844 

What do you want to share with friends?

Hi @Genevieve8844 
Welcome to the forums community, it’s so nice to have you join us here 😊
I wonder if any of your personal interests might be openings into connecting with others?

I know the difficulties with making new friendships and have found when there is a common interest, passion or activity that it makes it more possible in finding opportunities to start getting to know people more. As it generally takes time to develop friendships.

I relate to what @AussieRecharger has asked as well about what you’d like to share in the company of others?

What types of connection have you had with people or communities in the past?

Hope you might find some connections here with members of the forum community 💛

Hi and welcome, @Genevieve8844 , it's good to have you here. 

I found that the best way to make friends in real life was by volunteering. That way you have things in common as you share the work.

If you want to meet people here on the forums, you can start a thread about something you're interested in, or join in on the  Good Morning! thread (which runs all day). You can also type any topic into the search bar above for threads on that topic. 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply. 

I hope you enjoy exploring the forums. 

Feeling the same

Laughter. I see so many people laughing with their friends and having a good time.. I just want to be like them.

I have crippling anxiety and struggle to make/keep relationships. I haven’t had a friend in 3 years. Other than that I don’t talk to anyone, I don’t have any social media or any way of connecting with people. My anxiety makes it so hard to meet people and put myself out there

Do you feel like your wasting away in bed too?
Jimbo2
Senior Contributor

I will be your friend

Sometimes you can find joy in surprising interactions that are not necessarily with friends. You can almost use it as practice.

When you are out and about, walk upright and look around you (rather than just looking at the ground).

Smile at people as they walk by and say hello. They might look surprised but give it a go.

Give those that serve you when you shop a bright hello, say their name (if you know or overhear someone else say it). Ask them how their day is - you might be surprised. Pay them a compliment if you’re happy with their service or product.

If you feel comfortable ask what the day brings for them. I had a checkout person who disclosed they played in a band. So every Saturday I’d call to him by name and ask him what he was up to. He was delighted to share (and to be asked I think).

I don’t know if any of that helps. Maybe practising might get you ready for when a friend comes along…

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance