Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Gracie170
New Contributor

Hello from a fellow carer

I am new to this group and navigating around the world of drug addiction which is so foreign to me. I am supporting my 24 year old niece who has had a drug addiction for 6 years and has lost everything in her life. Her family has given up, she has lost all her possessions, is homeless and trying really hard to withdraw with my help. The system is a nightmare how does anyone do this alone. I guess its a waiting game for detox and rehab but what does one do in the meantime to support them. I would appreciate any advice on how best to get her into a facility is public or private better and what is the average wait time, if it meant getting help quickly is interstate quicker we are in Melbourne. Amy advice from a newbie would be much appreciated xx

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Hello from a fellow carer

Hey there @Gracie170 

Thanks so much for writing into the forums, I appreciate you sharing your story about being thrown into the carer position quite out of the blue, and I hope that you are also getting the support that you need ❤️

I'm sure that there is lots of support available on the forums from our many members for you, but I did just want to flag that there is a Peer Group Chat on tomorrow night that is hosted by some of out Peer Support Workers at SANE and I thought the topic might resonate with you a bit! Tomorrow nights topic is 'Caring for Yourself while Caring for Someone Else'.

Here is the link to it for some more information with times etc: https://saneforums.org/t5/Forums-news-and-feedback/Peer-Group-Chat-Caring-for-Yourself-while-Caring-...

Take care, 

Amber22

Hi @Gracie170 

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like a really stressful situation but what an amazing person you are. 

I'm wondering if you have looked at the Carer's Gateway support group here .

I'll also tag some of our amazing members who might offer you support. 

Hanami

@Snowie @NatureLover  @jem80 @Aniela @Shaz51 @AussieRecharger @ShiningStar @outlander @HenryX @Judi9877 @Zoe7 @wellwellwellnez @Eve7 @maddison @Boo13 @pinklollipop15   @CrazyChick@Hams , @Faith-and-Hope , @BPDSurvivor 

Hi @Gracie170,

It's lovely to have you on the Forums. My name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE. It's great that you have found us. I know for some people it can be a little different and daunting when you first post on the Forums but please know you are in a safe and anonymous space with a lot of kind members from a variety of lived experiences.

It's amazing that you are trying to support your niece through this very difficult time. This is a link to the Family Drug Support website, they offer telephone support 24/7 throughout Australia https://www.fds.org.au/. If you haven't heard of them I would encourage you to call them as I think this support would potentially answer some of the questions you have asked here.

I wish you and your niece all the best. Please take care of yourself too @Gracie170 - being a carer can be a difficult and lonely place and you also need support at this time.

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather   

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance